Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

I thought these looked pretty nice, and 4Plus has a good rep:

FJ40 rear seat

Plus it would be easier than retro-fitting.
KDGWM
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Looks great! Cool that you had the wheels built -- I've thought about doing that for years.

Iron Pig also has a rear fold & tumble seat:
http://ironpigoffroad.com/interiorexterior/seats.shtml

One word of caution concerning the rear seat: make sure the seat back is high enough. I spent a bunch of money and time sandblasting, painting, and recovering an old Conn-Ferr rear seat, and I am unhappy with the low back. It's comfortable for kids only, and I wonder how long that will last.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

That's part of the trouble I'm having, and why I keep putting it off. I've read a ton of stuff on the seats (mostly on MUD), where everything from minivan seats to Dodge Raider seats to an assortment of Jeep seats will fit. But not much on the pros and cons of each, comfort, seat belts, mounting, etc. There's a difference between shoe-horning something into the tub versus making a nice, clean and comfy install.

Matt - Any idea how tall your seat back is? I could use it for comparison when I get serious about shopping.

Jeff - I'd prefer 3 pt belts, and I know for sure my wife would, but realize that complicates things due to the lack of mounting locations. I hope to get the chance to see more setups this summer - I only saw a couple in Moab, and nothing I was keen on. Price seems all over the place, and that one that Martin linked too is pretty pricey (but the integrated seat belts are nice).
Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Matt-

I have a link to the seats that everyone is selling, not to lowball vendors that carry them, but they are WAY cheaper on this site. I will have to dig around for it though, I thought it was McMaster, Northern Tool or Grainger, but I could be wrong.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great to see your 40 at the meeting last night Matt! Looking great. The wheel tire combo fits that rig perfect, very cool. Hope to see it in action on the trail and get your opinion on that lift.
KDGWM
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun member

So Matt, how do you like the lift/tire combination off-road, seeing as you've had a couple years to experiment?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Since I sold the Tacoma early last summer, the 40 got quite a bit of time in the dirt this year. Really the off road performance has been everything I've needed it to be. With the open diffs I've had a few obstacles that concerned me, but I haven't needed a strap yet. With the short wheel base and moderately good flex it always seems to find a good line and ride it up. The lift and tires give it the right amount of clearance while keeping the COG as low as possible. The tall 33's push the limits of the lift, and I've had a tiny amount of rubbing on the rear fender lip (fixed by bending the sheet metal up) and with one of the front fenders.

The only knock I'd give it is that the springs have been slow to break in and settle, and in stock Cruiser they are a bit too firm unloaded. With the top off, it's at its worst in terms of riding high on the shackles. But with the hard top on and several hundred pounds of gear in the back it settles in nicely and rides like I would expect/want. I've been tempted to load it with a few sand bags just to try and settle it a bit.

And if you already have Cruiser lean, the OME springs don't fix it....