Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Nevada Highway -- you're on one about now, aren't you?

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Nope -- leave next Monday. 5 days and counting.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Drove to Leadville for dinner yesterday and got a good chance to work out the MAF modded 80 into major headwinds all the way up there. SOTP impressions are that power has been enhanced, the transmission is now smarter and thinks more like me, i.e. it downshifts when I think it should and manual downshifts aren't required nearly as often. This was with the power button NOT engaged. At the elevations west of Georgetown, the engine was beathing much more easily and revved more freely with less skinny pedal required to accelerate or maintain desired speeds. As the headwind was major, I didn't fret about mileage so power was what was tested and the Landtank MAF mod gets two thumbs up from me in that regard. Mileage will be the test target in a couple of weeks when I head to Kansas City and it will be reported upon at that time. However, even with the headwinds and large doses of skinny pedal, we drove 198 miles on half a tank of gas. The winds had died down by the time we returned to Denver so didn't have the tailwinds on the way home.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
NVH usually means Noise, Vibration, Harshness.
Yea, sorry, noise, vibration, harshness. My stereo is much louder now, conversations with a bit quieter
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Another update:

I live at about 7300ft. Just returned on a trip from Colorado Springs to Pagosa Springs, about 280 miles each way, and the resort is at about 7500ft. Between, lowest elevation is about 4700, and you go through a couple of passes at about 10000 (10,800 & 9,400).

15.4MPG going there -- best ever
17.2MPG returning -- unbelievable!

The only time I can get into Open Loop is at or above 3,550 RPM and significant engine load, or at WOT.

Held moderate grades very well without downshifting. Had power to pass (slowly) when I needed to.

Engine/tranny shifted very well. Sometimes I felt that it didn't downshift soon enough, but by watching the scangauge, it was doing VERY well at maintaining better mileage. In a couple of borderline zones, I forced a downshift and had an immediate drop in mileage (sometimes >5MPG difference).

There were a couple of spots where it was obvious that the cruise control was going to do its "cut out" game. In those spots, I put my foot back on the peddle, and manually turned it off -- waste of gas to try to re-gain speed on steep grades.

On the way back, I didn't force 60MPH in 2nd on the passes -- kept it under 3550RPM to stay in Closed Loop (about 1/2 throttle!). Historically, I'd keep at 60-62 on the steep grades in second (about 4200 RPM).

I think I only passed twice on the return, probably 6 on the way there. Passing was: time the oncoming traffic, WOT about 1 second before the oncoming car cleared me, hold it until passed+100ft, back on cruise control. Didn't really worry about grades (none were on steep down or up grades). Speed post-pass was generally 80+.

Had the cruise control set at 65 both ways. Stopped for lunch in Walsenburg both ways, and stopped at the Brewery in Alamosa (owner is a Cruiser dude -- don't recall his name) to fill up my growler both ways. Both trips started in the morning and ended in the late afternoon.

Setting the Cruise at 65 versus 75 makes a material difference in mileage, and doesn't add much time to the trip. Keeping the RPM under 3550 (staying in Closed Loop) adds another real kicker to the mileage.

Does anyone still have the stock MAF & 33's? I don't recall tracking which conditions caused open loop with the stocker; I just remember seeing it in Open much more.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
Does anyone still have the stock MAF & 33's? I don't recall tracking which conditions caused open loop with the stocker; I just remember seeing it in Open much more.
Snif...snif...yep

Want me to check on something before I get around to the upgrades? Of the new MAF and housing that is.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'd be curious to know the following:

1. Set your SG to monitor LOD, RPM, OPEN/CLOSED, TPS
2. Monitor OPEN/CLOSED LOOP as you're driving
3. At what RPM/LOAD/TPS combinations does it switch to OPEN loop?
4. When do you hit those combinations?

I used to hit Open Loop merging onto the freeway and going up even moderate grades. Now, I only hit Open Loop going up steep grades at high altitude (and then, only when I force 2nd and keep the RPM too high).

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Jeff, I still have your Scan Gauge II. I'll bring it to the RS meeting next week, unless you want it earlier.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Man, I gotta get me one of them SGs.
Right after all the other things I gotta get. Like a second job.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Man, I gotta get me one of them SGs.
Right after all the other things I gotta get. Like a second job.
At current (and future!) gas prices, it could pay for itself in a few tanks, if you can use it to increase your MPG.

Being able to monitor my instantaneous and "today" MPG is really useful. I use it to test various driving "habits". It allows testing over short periods of time, and getting immediate feedback. No need to wait for a fillup (and thereby accumulating confounding data).

It also allows before & after monitoring as you make mods (like LT's MAF).