Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrsr View Post
My apologies if I am duplicating questions that have already been covered. I have searched through MUD as best I can and through RS forums and have found nothing indicating a good safe place to store a truck and trailer at the end of the Rubicon trail. If anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.
You're right -- the information is hard to search for.

Here's the first one I found:

Parking at the chalet (directly below the dam, right at the trail head) is available. You can also park your rig at Ice House resort for $5 per night. I recommend this. I have never heard of anyone having issues with their tow rig while parked at Ice House.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Lifted

Thanks for the info on where to park. Since I'm staying at Ice House on the 17th maybe I will just leave the truck and trailer there then back track to pick it up after running the trail. I was hoping for a safe place closer to the end of the trail but if that is what you think is best I will go with that. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Greg - Cheeseman - is leaving his tow truck at a campground in Meeks Bay which is just south of Tahoma, where Rubicon Trail feeds out. It's about a 1-1/2 hour drive from Meeks Bay to Loon Lake and we are getting to Meeks Bay on Monday afternoon and staying there that night. We'll drive to Robbs Resort and hook up with the rest of the RS contingent on Tuesday so that will be a good easy day. Then, Sunday when we pull off the Rubicon, we will be very close to the tow truck. Greg is out of town at the moment and I don't have the Meeks Bay contact info.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Anyone have an idea what time you're (we're) leaving the Denver area on Monday?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Lets discuss that. How about 8am at Highway 7 and I-25 at the VI parking lot? Remember, this is just the start of discussion not a final plan!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

For the group headed west on Hwy 40, how about let's meet up at the McDonald's in Idaho Springs at 9:00 a.m.? That's exit 241 on I-70.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
US 40 to SLC takes 14 hours....I-80 to SLC takes right around 10hrs. I have done both several times.

I-70 has you crossing Floyd Hill, prior to turning on I-40 or add Eisenhower and Vail Passes to turn at Rifle Then you climb up over Triangle Park.
I-40 has you crossing Berthoud, Muddy, Rabbit Ears and Strawberry passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
4 hours is a lot. I vote I-80

I've only driven to SLC once and that was via I70 to Green River and then North via Hwy 6/191. I don't even remember how long it took...

However, I googled the following:

80126 to West Wendover NV via the I80 route = 679 miles, 9 hrs 32 minutes

80126 to West Wendover NV via the I70 to Hwy 9 to Hwy 40 to SLC then I80 to West Wendover NV = 620 miles, 10 hours 49 minutes

Looks to be about an hour and 15 mins difference. Of course it depends where you are starting from I guess as those on the North side would have to back track South a ways to go I70. Fuel stops etc. should be similar either way...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I've only driven to SLC once and that was via I70 to Green River and then North via Hwy 6/191. I don't even remember how long it took...

However, I googled the following:

80126 to West Wendover NV via the I80 route = 679 miles, 9 hrs 32 minutes

80126 to West Wendover NV via the I70 to Hwy 9 to Hwy 40 to SLC then I80 to West Wendover NV = 620 miles, 10 hours 49 minutes

Looks to be about an hour and 15 mins difference. Of course it depends where you are starting from I guess as those on the North side would have to back track South a ways to go I70. Fuel stops etc. should be similar either way...
Is there a way to find out about road construction/destruction? I-40 is a two lane all the way and as you meander down through the Wasatch there is often road construction. It is a pretty drive after Vernal but I will be sitting in the driver seat plenty long enough next week....just have no desire to purposly add more time to the commute.
I think it's cool that we have to routes! Great campfire stories are in the making!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'm certain on the return trip I will be tired of sitting in the Cruiser, and will be looking for the quickest route possible. However, on the way out, I'm looking for something off the beaten path. This is vacation! Two-lane blacktop sounds good to me.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm going to be about an hour or two behind the group, need to go to work in the morning until about 9:45- I guess we'll head north and try to catch the & Romer caravan. Thinking I will try to hit you guys on simplex (NORCAL1) unless there are northern Co/Wyoming repeater(s) that would be useful?

edit: or I guess I can just call you, but why simplify things..

www.gamiviti.com