Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Question What's a good, expensive tent?

If a person had $700 to spend on a tent, what would you recommend? This may not be a hypothetical question.

FYI:

a) Not a rooftop tent. Just a regular tent for camping and/or backpacking.

b) Prefer a 3-person tent.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Are you talking about a 3- or 4-season? Does it need to be super at wind shedding? You say backpacking, so I assume something that doesn't have to accommodate cots or be especially tall. Do you want something ultra light or good in wind, very hot or very cold weather? Do you have a packed size or weight in mind?

If I had that kind of money to spend on a 3+ season tent that I wouldn't mind too much carrying it would probably the Hilleberg Nammatj at that price point. The 3-person Nammatj would be about $800. It wouldn't excel in very hot or very cold weather, but would get the job done all around. But there are lots of choices if you want to go stronger, lighter, warmer/cooler, etc.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm with Dave on the Hilleberg and I in fact plan to purchase this one by next summer as we want to start backpacking with Bridger. http://us.hilleberg.com/products/red...o/Nallo4gt.php

The 4 person model is only slightly heavier and the extra space with kid and dogs would be worth it. A client of mine down here has a sale coming up on tents. If you want a Hilleberg PM me. He is also a MSR, Mountain Hardwear dealer as well as others.

If you want a spacious tent for car camping then look into a Springbar. But your not taking that backpacking without a horse.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

We have a SnowPeak LandBreeze. Plenty of room for the 5 of us, solid construction, packs up relatively small and setup is super easy. Not a backpacking tent though. It's a little big for that.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

msr, mountain hardwear or hilleberg. The hillebergs generally are not self-supporting and require the guys to support them.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, no more Sanden OBA (factory emissions)
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
msr, mountain hardwear or hilleberg. The hillebergs generally are not self-supporting and require the guys to support them.
Hilleberg makes a several self supporting tents but they are certainly known for their guyed designs. But it's a misnomer to call almost all self-supporting designs self-supporting, they still need to be guyed to be stable. They can be a little less fussy to set up, but it's not really a big deal once you figure out what you're doing.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

We have a north face VE25 that has been decent. It is heavy though and can be hot in the summer, but for the cooler Colorado climate it does fine in the summer with no rain fly or with the rain fly opened up. It's a 4 person tent and is not light. But it has been pretty bomb proof in the snow and ANY wind and is free standing. I like free standing for stuff like utah trips where it's all sand. with a few stakes on the fly you're ready to go. if it's a hurricane we stake it all out.

I think Mike D. has one and had worse luck with it (sun faded?) We spent~ 15-20 nights in it a year with the dogs and have had it for 5 years i think and is finally starting to look old.

my only gripe is it packs big and it's heavy, but that's the tradeoff for how stout it is and how big it is.

But, most of the time lately we camp under a sil nylon tarp so that takes a lot of load off of the tent and it's under a pound with some thin rain shedding bivys.
82 FJ40
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
But, most of the time lately we camp under a sil nylon tarp so that takes a lot of load off of the tent and it's under a pound with some thin rain shedding bivys.
If you're into it, these kits are cool. I was supposed to start sewing one of their catenary tarp kits this winter but never got around to it. Hopefully this month still... But 13 ounces definitely beats even 5 lbs for a carrying on your back or bike. Also $80 for material ($50 if you go with 2nd or ugly colors, I chose an eye searing yellow they had too much of) and hardware plus a few hours of your time is easy to accept. You already have the supports - the boards on your feet, the poles in your hands, the bike or moto under your butt.

http://www.questoutfitters.com

'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

My current backpacking tent is a 3 season Bibler which is also a great tent but mine is a two person tent. Any only for two people who really like each other as its small. A quality tent never the less if you like a single wall design.

As far as free standing, I can't think of anywhere I've ever backpacked that I could not stake out a tent. And I'm with Dave again, most advertised free standing tents are only that for the main body. A vestibule almost always needs stakes. And with any wind your done. If you watch the set up video on Hillebergs website you can see how easy their hooped designs set up.

I carry a tarp shelter for my cooking area. Ue my trekking poles or tress to set it up. I'm yet to give up the protection of a tent from bugs at night. Yes my pack is pretty heavy
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-01-2015, 12:56 PM

Default Turobo Tents

http://www.blackpinesports.com/black...ts/turbo-tents

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60