Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default been awhile

Popping back in to say hey, see how things are and try to get back into the community. Last couple of years have been a little rough but I think we're coming out the other side. Day job has me traveling way too much (10-12k miles a month) but we're making the most of it. So far, I haven't been dragged off a United flight.

Shooting when I can. Lots of street stuff from my work travels. High end portraits and landscapes when I'm in town.

My wife gave me the best birthday present ever yesterday. Been a long time coming but I finally have my Tundra.

I've already ordered the first batch of parts. The giant chrome grill has got to go as soon as possible. I'll be running down the street this week to have the bed sprayed and pick up a topper as well as a Decked drawer system.

Really looking forward to getting back out on the trail and hopefully meeting back up with some of you.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing the truck build.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sweet lookin rig! Welcome back!
82 FJ40
Old 07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

congrats. i've got a 2012 and i think i had most bulbs swapped to leds, vent visors, swapped rims and a tonneau within the first two weeks.

i agree on getting rid of the obnoxious chrome grills.

what year? what are your plans for it?
ige tlca #1431
62 fj40
65 fj45
71 fj55
78 fj55
95 fzj80
96 fzj80
Old 07-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys.

Getting ready to go attack the badges with a can of PlastiDip. I have a TRD Pro grille on order but it's 8-10 weeks out. Might have to spray the grille in the meantime to tone it down.

It's a 2016. Bit more than I wanted to spend but it only has 12k on it and a full warranty.

Suspension will be King and Camburg. Might need different leaf packs. Doing a little research on those now (Deaver and Atlas). Probably add the Timbren SES setup. Going to go with 35s. Maybe a regear to 4.88s. Truck already has a lot of power but we'll see what the 35s do to it. Definitely an Auburn LSD since the electronic one might as well not even be there. Down the road will be ARB lockers, fridge and solar. Fridge might come sooner rather than later.

I still have my notes from awhile back on a conversation I had with Nakman about a rack. Definitely want to make that happen.

The general idea is to set it up for family adventures as well as a backcountry mobile photo studio. The idea being to take folks out to places for portraits that they wouldn't normally think of and where most other photographers can't get to and/or aren't interested in getting to. Been kicking around ideas with the guys over at American Adventurist too. A lot of what I've been photographing lately are portraits of dancers and I have ideas of a series in spots that would be considered iconic Colorado.

Make it comfortable for the kids (who are already in love with the room in the back seat) as well as potential clients. That presents a need for power so there will be some noodling on batteries, solar and inverters. If you guys have input on that, I'd love to hear it.

Plan right now is to get the suspension, bumpers and armor dialed in the next couple of months. Now that I have the truck, I just want to be out on the trail again.