Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-07-2008, 02:37 AM
csuram2001

Default Land Cruiser FJ 60 Head Gasket Repair - HELP!

Hello all

I'm looking for some guidance. I've been in the market to buy an older Land Cruiser for several months and have an opportunity to make a great buy. The cruiser I was looking at just suffered some major engine damage when the head gasket blew (we think), so the owner offered me the truck at just $500 (vs. about $4000 originally). Preliminary estimates say that the head gasket is the culprit, but obviously a mechanic will charge around $2500 and I'm not willing to pay that much, especially when something else may go wrong down the line. I've thought about buying it anyway and trying to fix it myself, but I have absolutely no experience working on such a project on my own.

What I'm looking for is somebody who does have experience who may be willing to give me some pointers or maybe put me in contact with someone who might be able to help out. If anyone can help out, please email me at kmcgreg@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Changing a head gasket on a 60 isn't a toooo difficult but if you've never removed an engine head before, its going to take awhile. Do you have a garage where the truck can be disassembled for a week? Do you have the tools, (mostly wrenches) to tackle the job? There is a 50/50 chance that the head gasket failure also cracked the head. When the head is off, have it professionally inspected by a machine shop for cracks. This is also the right time to have a valve job done. Are you in the Denver area?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I'd be skeptical about only the head. Late 2f's are known for cracked heads. As 60wag noted it's not a difficult job. The toughest part is all the emissions junk and vacuum spagetti back to the right spots.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

If the head gasket blew, there can be compounding things that also went wrong... like ruining the engine all together. But, on an fj60 an engine swap isn't too hard, but for someone with no experience it can be overwhelming.

I would suggest perhaps looking around a bit more, if the head gasket is blown he won't be getting rid of it any time real soon. Maybe you could find a better 60 with a little less work.

On the other hand, this would be an easy motor to learn on and figure out how to work on engines... and welcome to Rising Sun dude! We'd love to see another cruiser around!

:

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

I bought my first FJ60 cruiser about 8 years ago with a cracked head. I put on a remanufactured head and did the rings and rod bearings at the same time. Also a lot of bits like hoses. Took a few weeks of evenings but all in all was not so bad. I did not pull the engine. I had never done anything that difficult and did not have all the great RS resources at the time. I bought the factory service manuals too. I ended up with a great running and powerful 2F.

You might also simply find a 2F longblock that someone has pulled.