Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Ham for the Daughters of Romer

Looking for Radio's for the Girls. They will only use it wheeling or on road trips with me. Rachel does go camping and hiking and even climbs some fourteeners.

For a mobile unit, the FT-2800 seems like a good deal. Anyone have the programming SW and cable for it?

Thinking a Hand Held would have more functionality for them both and with the same external antenna as the FT-2800 It would be pretty good and probably do what it needs. Won't have the range of the 65Watt FT-2800 though.

I have heard people on the drive to Moab with the HT's and they have been scratchy. Don't know if they used an extrnal antenna though. Groucho, what did Barb use when she was driving to Moab? Do you know?

Sarah has already told me she will only use it when she is going wheeling with the club.

Hard to beat the FT-2800 for $130 though
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Rising Sun Commander

2800's is my vote. Loan Rachel your HT when she goes climbing.. but the rest of the time they need a solid 2m that works and is easy to use.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
2800's is my vote. Loan Rachel your HT when she goes climbing.. but the rest of the time they need a solid 2m that works and is easy to use.
Thats where I was leaning. Found this in an old thread on mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb96150 View Post
I just got back from 6 days in Panamint Valley and Death Valley. Using my handheld with a Mirage 35 watt amp and a mag-mount mobile roof antenna I was able to only raise one repeater (Randsburg, Ca.)

The last time I made that trip with a dual band mobile I was able to hit several repeaters. My old mobile could put out 50 watts on high. Maybe the extra wattage was key. It was the same antenna both times.

I wish I had not spent the money on the amp for the handheld, I should have replaced the dead mobile.
There is a direct comparison.

So, anyone have the programming cable and SW for a 2800? Care to program two more Radios?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Groucho, what did Barb use when she was driving to Moab? Do you know?

Hard to beat the FT-2800 for $130 though
Barb has a VX-170 with a rubber duckie. She was in her condo listening to all of you during the Moab pre-event runs. She even pretended to monitor the "HAM base station" a few times (even though she was in the condo).

Anyone who just compares a HT with an external amp to a Mobile rig is not giving the full story. Coax, antennas, and even the amp can play big roles in the success of a setup like that. Amps take power to drive them. If he was only putting 1 watt to the amp, it may have been driving 15 watts out. If he had been driving the amp with 5 watts he would have had the full 35 watts output of the amp. Plus, just hooking the HT to the amp and a mag-mount isn't enough. You have to do more tuning to that setup to maximize output. If everything in the setup was goofed up by just slapping it together, he may have been only getting 5 watts out or less even with the amp. With that one should just use the HT by itself. If I were going to buy an HT for hiking, I would get a telescoping antenna, and put the rubber duckie in the junk drawer for emergencies.

Just get the FT-2800. Lend the girls your HT if they need it. Or get them both.

My .
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
So, anyone have the programming cable and SW for a 2800? Care to program two more Radios?
I have the FTB2800 software and created a file here. You are welcome to it. I'm not planing on bringing my laptop and programming cables to Rubithon, but if we can get together sometime I'd be happy to accommodate you. It's a stripped down version of Dave's 8800 file for 2m only.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I have the FTB2800 software and created a file here. You are welcome to it. I'm not planing on bringing my laptop and programming cables to Rubithon, but if we can get together sometime I'd be happy to accommodate you. It's a stripped down version of Dave's 8800 file for 2m only.
Thanks Chris. Didn't know you had a 2800.

I wont be needing this at the Rubithon so no hurry.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Congrats KD0EGS (Rachel) and KD0EGT (Sarah)
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Alright! now on with the vanities..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I am going to try and experiment with K0DOR (Rachel's Vanity). I am going to get a similar antenna setup as mine and put it on her truck. I then am going to get a Yaesu FT-60 and hook it up to that antenna and we are going to test performance in city and external. We woiuld need more than one HT anyways and this will give me a good idea on the performance.

Then we will likely get a 2M FT2800 for both her and Sarah. Unless the performance of the HT is better than expected.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

So we tried an experiment on Slaughterhouse. I installed the same antenna setup as on my truck.

I then had to run an extension to get from the rear hatch up to the front console.

Rachel and I could communicate well on the trail.

People at the end of the group and Matt Farr who came to the trail head near the end vcould not hear her or she them.

We then put the Rubber duckie on and she was able to communicate with folks at least 1.5 miles away. Obviously, the antenna cable length made the loss to large for that setup to be of use. A magnetic antenna with a shorter cable might work better, but enough to convince me that the mobile unit is the way to go.

I was hoping to be able to get 10 miles distant with that setup on simplex. Could tweak it mabe to get there, but enough of an experiment for me.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper