Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
So we tried an experiment on Slaughterhouse. I installed the same antenna setup as on my truck.

I then had to run an extension to get from the rear hatch up to the front console.

Makes me wonder how successful I'm going to be. I basically did the same thing only with my VX-7R.

I was at HRO buying another extension cable (wasn't sure I could reach with just one) and we were discussing the loss of the various cables (thick, thin) and the connectors. In the end it was decided that I should stick with the thin stuff like the one I had. They said the thin cable would have greater loss than the thicker cable but that the connectors required to go from thin to big and back again would cause more loss in the end than the thin cable would

In the end I was able to reach the front without the extension so we'll see. What was obvious on the run yesterday is that the HT's limited transmit power is the real handicap. I could hear Hulk clear as day on my HT but I could NOT reach him when transmitting. It would be nice if Yaesu etc. would offer a HT that was limited to 5W when on battery alone but when plugged in (either AC or DC power) offered higher power. The VX-7R won't even transmit when plugged in though

I will say this though. The HT hands down beats a mobile mounted CB . I could rarely hear Isacc at the front on the CB and even then it was really so low that I could not understand a word he was saying. If I turned the volume up to max on the CB to hear Isacc then I would get blood from the ears whenever Subzali or someone else close transmitted . With the HT though, I could talk to and hear everyone on the trail
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 07-10-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added a missing word (not)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun member

Don't mobile rigs experience the same loss through lines? Is it just not noticeable because they START at 5W rather than top out there?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

My 7800 main portion is in the back so there is no extra cable. The 4runnner setup had 16 extra feet to go around the molding and then the extension with the connector for the HT ant jack. I could have probably reduced the extension down 6 feet, but based on what I saw I figured why bother.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I will say this though. The HT hands down beats a mobile mounted CB .
I'm bagging my cb completely. Junk
TLCA#4180
Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Don't mobile rigs experience the same loss through lines? Is it just not noticeable because they START at 5W rather than top out there?
Assuming Romer used RG8X, the loss in dB is 3.7dB over 100'. So for 16' you're talking about .5+/-dB loss. That isn't that much that the range will go from 10 miles to 200 feet.

My assumption is that you have that loss combined with the loss going from an N, a BNC or a SMA connector which themselves have have consistent resistance and low loss, to a PL-259 connector which has high loss and varied resistance on VHF/UHF, and then poor matching from the radio to the antenna. If the radio is not putting out the 50 OHM signal your antenna wants, then there is a mismatch resulting in High SWR and high losses. Keep in mind, HT's are just small radios, and if the radio is not matched to the antenna, most of your signal out gets lost as heat. It is very difficult (without an antenna anlyzer) to determine if the antenna is matched to the radio in these cases. There is no miracle when it comes to HT's and their signal output to the antenna.

My solution? Try using a coax with the appropriate end on it. If your radio has a SMA connector, use a coax with that end on it, and try to connect directly to the antenna that way. Minimize coax length. Or try a telescoping antenna out the window. Bottom line is that HT's were not intended to be used as mobile (vehicular) rigs. They were intended for portable (outside, walking) use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I'm bagging my cb completely. Junk
Right on!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tried to figure out where to mount a 2800 in Rachel's 4runner and its pretty tight.

So, both daughters of romer got 7800's so I could mount the main unit in the back.

Took the cables back to HRO and the guy there said I should not have had those issues that even with that length it should have outperformed the rubber duckie.

This way I know they should always be able to get the distance they need to communicate with others.

Plus I already have all the programming stuff.

Anything else they want and they are on their own.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
...Anything else they want and they are on their own.
Famous last words...

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Famous last words...

yeah, I know that. The lockers and bumper both wanted. I kind of dragged them into this and want them to have quality radios that will last them a long time. I know they will use them on runs and on roadtrips.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
My assumption is that you have that loss combined with the loss going from an N, a BNC or a SMA connector which themselves have have consistent resistance and low loss, to a PL-259 connector which has high loss and varied resistance on VHF/UHF, and then poor matching from the radio to the antenna....

My solution? Try using a coax with the appropriate end on it. If your radio has a SMA connector, use a coax with that end on it, and try to connect directly to the antenna that way. Minimize coax length...
That is pretty much exactly what the gents at HRO explained to me...Trying to minimize connector changes/adapters was more important than the coax type which is why I settled on the extension (that I ended up not needing) with an SMA connection as opposed to the thicker coax which would have required an adapater from BNC to SMA (IIRC)

Quote:
So, both daughters of romer got 7800's so I could mount the main unit in the back.
So where is mine - It is not fair that the girls get a 7800 but I don't. You're always spoiling them and forgetting about me
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
So where is mine - It is not fair that the girls get a 7800 but I don't. You're always spoiling them and forgetting about me

You wouldn't mow the lawn when I asked
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper