Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Center Diff Lock

What else can I do to get my stuck CDL to disengage. So far I have driven in circles, shifted in/out, gone back/forward, banged on the actuator and connected/disconnected the electrical conection. Everything seems fine including the 30amp fuse in the dash.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun member

Are you in low or high range? Do you have the pin 7 mod? If low range w/o pin 7 then it's automatically going to be on. If it's high range w/o pin 7 then it should disengage itself. If it's high or low range w/ pin 7 then make sure your button is on the right setting. I'd say it's probably like the diff locks, keep going back and forth with it (engage/disengage) until it goes.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

You didn't by chance have a CDL switch installed that was subsequently removed, and then you locked the CD by shifting into low?

I read a thread on MUD where a person (cool breeze) removed his CDL switch (actually his dash I gather), went wheeling, shifted his 80 into low, and then couldn't get the 80 to unlock the CD when shifting out of low. Has something to do with the continuity of the ckt no longer being there when either the switch isn't installed or the terminating plug isn't installed...Now he never followed up on the thread to say "Yep, not having the CDL switch installed was the cause of the problem" so I'm assuming the person that posted up the fix knew what he was talking about

Might be worth a peak behind the dash bezel if you aren't sure

Sorry, but that is all I got.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm in high and I haven't done the pin 7 mod or added the cdl switch - yet. It's on the way with a few other parts and an FSM/EWD. It's worked great until I high centered in the sand.

I blew out the connectors and cleaned them yesterday. I've been banging on the actuator and doing all the shifting and other monkey business as per usual when this happens. The only good thing is my lockers will engage/disengage in high w/out the pin7 or cdl.

I think it's something simple as I didn't hurt anything when I high centered. I wonder if there's a switch or link that goes from the High Low shifter that may not be working right.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun member

Yep, shifting in and out of low range should cycle the CDL in the configuration you have. Don't know about what's hanging under the body that could have gotten messed up with sand or ???
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

The connector on the T-case is way up on top, no way you hit that when high centered. I guess you could check it though just to make sure it's still there, should be in about the 1:00 position if you're looking at the t-case from the back.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

The connector is fine. It shifts into and out of high/low fine. The dash indicates when it's in neutral as well so I'm stumped. I just powerwashed the underside and beat on it some more with the motor running. Still no go. I guess I'll be pulling the front drive shaft later today.

The only thing I did after getting out of where I high centered is I went back and went over the same spot with more speed. I got through fine and didn't think I abused the truck. It's just weird. If I can't figure it out I'll take it down and have Oleg work his magic.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

I disconnected the front drive shaft and the actuator. Is it possible to pull the CDL actuator?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Cruiser View Post
I disconnected the front drive shaft and the actuator. Is it possible to pull the CDL actuator?
Yes, There is info on MUD. Search for it and ye shall find!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Like zis? http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...uator-fun.html I thought you never got your feet muddy.

Anybody know where I can find a used actuator or the longer bolts Tools mentions? I wish I kept that spare engine/tranny and t-case.