Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

All kidding aside, it sounds quite robust.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Oh, I thought cruisers had lots of torque and therefore a fair amount of driveline twist. My mistake.

But seriously, if they use the stock rubber mounts that would explain it. Bud uses those, right Dave?
Mine is rigid to the Tcase, then urethane mounts outboard where it attaches to the frame. Not just minimal twist, it immobilizes the driveline and therefore saves the motor mounts. Yet no vibration. FRORF is pretty innovative. Admittedly not as much bottom protection as a Budbuilt or IPOR, but the mini transfer case is extremely tough and just needs a glide plate.
I guess cruisers are a bit more delicate, the extra protection makes sense.

HIJACK!!!

Bill, I have been very dissapointed with my budbuilt clearance. I have been looking at the FROR stuff, but have been very concerned with how the skid takes load in that set up.

Being that I am low, I take a LOT of very hard hits there. Do you think that set up is robust enough for that? To me, it looks like its meant for SAS guys who just need a very little protection when sliding over stuff, not coming down full force dropping off of ledges and the like.

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack UB. I wish I had a crossmember like yours, but then I'd have to buy a cruiser

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bud's cross member just maximizes clearance in a stock set-up. There's not much to be gained beyond what he does in this configuration. When you go to a FROR configuration, you lose the transmission isolator and the transfer case takes more of the shock. It's a strong case, but it's still a cast aluminum housing and with enough impacts it will eventually fracture.

IMO I think a truck set up like ours is better served by doing a drivetrain lift and keeping the stock style rear mount, just moved 2" up into the frame rails. Just me, I'd rather have the steel taking the punishment and transmit the energy to the frame, then isolate the important stuff to reduce the shock it sees. It's not a matter of avoiding banging, rubbing and scraping, that's gonna happen no matter what. I'm assuming all these new skids and sliders are wear items and get R&R when they bend and grind up enough. Until you go SAS and run 35" tires, the frame rails are only so far from the deck and there's not much that can be done to avoid the reality.

Think you got problems at 103" of wheelbase, try 122"! Seems to me that you have to decide what direction to go with the truck. If you are hanging up and dragging a lot, then maybe a SAS and going down the more dedicated rig route makes sense. There's being that pigheaded guy who 'wheels IFS just to show 'em and there's being reasonable. I have no interest in doing an SAS for my own reasons, but I'm also not fooling myself, the Rubicon isn't gonna be done cleanly or smoothly. And it's really the major exception to the primary purpose of my truck.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good points Dave.

I have been giving a lot of thought to SASing.

I just like wheeling the IFS. Its challenging, even with 2 lockers and 2 transfercases. I still get hung up, and its fun to have to pick lines to get up stuff, rather than just point and shoot.

However, you have a good point, that wheeling IFS does have its limits, and its not like I'm proving anything by doing that.

I've been looking at running 3" of spring on a SAS, getting a hydro set up, cromo guts, and 33's or 35s. Problem is, thats expensive. Quite expensive. So, its tough to decide.

I think you're right about the transfercase taking too much abuse with the FROR set up. I'd rather get stuck and be able to slide off than stuck with a broken tranny/tcase.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

I dig it, it will fun to see the score Kevin vs. The Rubicon... can't wait for the dust to settle.

Great looking protection Christo!

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Cool skid plate! Looks like it provides ultimate protection.

I still have my IPOR, so we can see which one gets more abused at Rubithon.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Cool skid plate! Looks like it provides ultimate protection.

I still have my IPOR, so we can see which one gets more abused at Rubithon.
That will be a good comparo! I liked the IPOR! The things I don't like (on the IPOR) are the exposed t-case and frame bolts. I was and may still make a center skid to cover the t-case studs and provide a little more gusset for the T-case skid section but I really like the way the IPOR fits! This plate (SP) is really cool and I am eager to see how it holds up.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior