Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

From the Jeff Z. collection, some of Imelda the IFS Master.

Attachment 9617
Check out the IFS flex! In all seriousness, can't complain 'bout that with 25mm Sway-A-Way bars and no winch yet, eh? Right wheel is max down travel and the left wheel has another inch or so to the bump stop. I need the weight of an M8000!

Attachment 9618
Nice wheel stuff and this is the 'good' side (the right side was the pack with the broken leaf). Don't think they'll stuff like that with OME heavy packs, but then again they probably won't explode on the trail either. :-)

Attachment 9622
Sitting on pins and needles watching that water line. Don't get any deeper, don't get any deeper... Intake is behind my left headlight, so I was fine.

Attachment 9620
Gas Can Hill. This is where all the learning from day 1 flew right out the window and my brain kept pulling my left foot off the floor and onto the clutch.

Attachment 9621
Getting some help coming down Big Sluice. I'd already bumped the WilderNest, so Neil was keeping a closer eye on me through here.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

No kidding Dave - that is some pretty nice flex for IFS!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Here I am limping across the finish line. Photo courtesy of the Trail Teams.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Trip Write-up

Nakman in Reno!

Top of Big Sluice. Same upper line as the 80s took, but I squeezed through without nearly as much passenger's climbing. You can see their tire tread marks on the dirt to my right.

The whole trail, it was pretty amazing following the 80s how being just a few inches narrower made such a difference. Very rarely where an 80 might touch or have a wheel climb did I touch or get too unbalanced. My turning radius forced me to do an extra multi-point turn here or there where a Cruiser didn't, though. It's pretty obvious that a regular cab mini truck or 4Runner is ideal for the trail (i.e. Cheeseman took hard lines even, no drama).

Coming through Big Sluice. Check the flex. :-)

This is right before my sketchy tire placement became obvious. Steve had already backed me up and moved me over. Looking at the photos now I see the way I needed to be. Hindsight is 20/20, eh? Too high on the right and I needed to turn left more into the wall before dropping.

About 2 feet later. Dropped the driver's tire and the truck tipped right into the wall.

One of only two times that I found IFS to be less than ideal. With a solid axle I might not have tipped the body as much I guess. But hard to say, though. I only run 2" springs and stock-ish front end with 1.5" of lift and 33" tires. I have ball joint spacers with relaxed springs and stock rubber upper bump stops, the ride height is exactly equivalent to fully cranked stock torsion bars with about an extra inch or so of wheel travel. Running a similar sort of lift & tires even on leafs might have leaned over almost as much. The ledge where your left front drops was pretty tall. Shrug.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

'Nuther Rubithon Vid from Pablo...
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Rock Stacker

So are you guys coming back in 2009? I think Chris' orange 40 needs some closure and Romer needs a few dents. I'm hoping you'll come back and camp with us, wheel and hang out.

If it's a quid pro quo thing, assuming gas is under $5 per gallon, we'll likely be at Cruise Moab.

1989 FJ62 Stocker
1997 FZJ80
Sacramento, CA
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserdrew View Post
So are you guys coming back in 2009? I think Chris' orange 40 needs some closure and Romer needs a few dents. I'm hoping you'll come back and camp with us, wheel and hang out.

If it's a quid pro quo thing, assuming gas is under $5 per gallon, we'll likely be at Cruise Moab.

I definitely want another crack at that trail with a vehicle that performs better. Not sure if 2009 is the year, though.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserdrew View Post

We actually thought we would do the group trip somewhere different every year. BHCC has come up in discussion. Maybe NorCal/RS should invade the Black Hills together! We seem to mesh quite well and I have no doubt we can garther more attention than the Minnesotans that frequent the Black Hills!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Rock Stacker

Considering I used to live in Minnesota, I really don't have any interest in wheeling there. Plus it's really far from the West Coast-3 days minimum each way. I am considering making Moab a 2 week adventure this year, but have not decided yet.

There is always Dusy-Ershim for you guys to shoot for, but it would have to be a small group. More than about 4 -5 trucks becomes unmanagable pretty quickly.

Something to consider would be Rubicon followed immediately by Fordyce Creek, but I'm not sure the 80s are a good idea on that trail. It's as challenging as Rubicon, and maybe more so.
1989 FJ62 Stocker
1997 FZJ80
Sacramento, CA
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Andy,
Maybe you guys should schedule some time in Colorado and we could put together something that would wet your appetiitie.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i