Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Rising Sun member

22R-E is 8 M8 bolts (4 for valve cover, 3 for vacuum/electrical bracket on valve cover, 1 for valve on back of valve cover), remove accelerator and cruise cable from mounts on top of valve cover and push to firewall, remove spark plugs from mounts on valve cover, disconnect one side of front PCV hose, disconnect two vacuum hoses that go to power steering pump and take them off of mount on valve cover. Takes about 2 minutes. But an FJ60 - yeah that's a royal pain.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Adjust them hot. The book is pretty clear about this. I was experimenting with doing them cold and it's true that things change hot fairly minimally, but it's not consistent across all the valves. Some showed minimal change in clearance and some quite a bit. Adjusting them cold left me with uneven valve lash, so I went back to doing them after driving home from work. If 14 miles of highway and some stop-n-go isn't enough, nothing will be. My feeling is hot means operating conditions, not just the t-stat open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Takes about 2 minutes.
As far as the junk, like Subzali says, just a couple of minutes. You can do about half of it with the engine idling (bolts for the VSV plate, spark plug brackets, plastic vacuum hose hold-downs, etc.) and leave the 4 valve cover bolts and disconnecting the hoses to remove the cover. Then from shut-down to exposed valves it's no more than 90 seconds, depending on your burned forearms tolerance.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

I do mine cold like the rest of the world and every tappet on every machine I own and have had no issues. There is a service range of acceptable clearances. Probably far more important to make sure the adjusting screws have no wear at the tappet; these are cheap from the dealer. Replace them.

Hot is a pain in the butt. No thankee.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I do mine cold like the rest of the world
LOL! There are at least two knucklehead perfectionist dorks who do them hot. The other one drives a rusty 1980 long bed.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I do mine cold like the rest of the world
maybe mini truckers do em cold but certainly not the rest of the world. I can certainly tell the difference between a hot and cold adjustment on the tappets. The old days most mechanics at a garage would do em while the engine is running. I've seen it done on my 2f. Since I don't do it everyday if I do em while running it peens my feelers.
TLCA#4180