Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FZJ-80 Fuel Sender Problem - Alternate Fix

Some of you may have experienced the dreaded Fuel Sender Float hang-up, causing the fuel gage to read full all the time. I had this happen shortly after buying my 80 so I ordered the gaskets for the plate and the aluminum gaskets for the high-pressure banjo fitting. I must admit I do not like opening up the fuel tank and pulling the pump and sending unit out of the tank. Too much of a fuel detonation exposure. The last time I did it I had three fire extinguishers stationed around my truck.

Well, yesterday while doing Red Cone with a full fuel tank, I got into an attitude that hung the float again....Stuck on full tank. I did not want to order the full set of gaskets again from CDan, so I tried this:
1. Follow the FSM to remove seats, carpet and cover.
2. Clean the area with a vacuum/brush to ensure no dirt gets into the fuel tank.
3. Disconnect the electrical plug to the pump/sending unit. Disconnect the fuel return line and pull to side.
4. Then, without breaking the seal on the bango fitting, unscrew the 8 bolts holding the plate. Gently lift the plate (you can only go up about 1/2 inch with the fuel line connected).
5. I heard the fload release then I replaced the plate, the 8 bolts, fuel return line and electrical conection.
6. Replace all in reverse order - See FSM for torque values.

This fixed the problem without breaking into the high pressure side of the fuel system. Hope it saves someone some trouble. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Great info -- thanks for sharing. I think I will subscribe to this thread, in case I need to find it next year.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Great info -- thanks for sharing. I think I will subscribe to this thread, in case I need to find it next year.
Ditto

Thanks Terry
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

just out of curiosity, why are you worried about pulling that banjo fitting off?

We pulled mine without issue when a had a loose connector on the pump. Just the possiblity of a fire or?
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
just out of curiosity, why are you worried about pulling that banjo fitting off?

We pulled mine without issue when a had a loose connector on the pump. Just the possiblity of a fire or?
More the issue of keeping as much connected as possible and not having to lift the pump/sender completely out of the tank. Reduces the chances of fire, stuff falling into the tank and having to thread the float assy back into the tank in the correct location. Then there is always the chance of the banjo leaking after reassembly. Technically, you are supposed to replace both washers in the banjo fitting if you loosen it.

Not a big deal, just attempting to keep this fix as simple as possible. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"

Last edited by ttubb; 08-15-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
More the issue of keeping as much connected as possible and not having to lift the pump/sender completely out of the tank. Reduces the chances of fire, stuff falling into the tank and having to thread the float assy back into the tank in the correct location. Then there is always the chance of the banjo leaking after reassembly. Technically, you are supposed to replace both washers in the banjo fitting if you loosen it.

Not a big deal, just attempting to keep this fix as simple as possible. T
makes perfect sense. Don't take apart things you don't need to so you don't break stuff that didn't need taken off to begin with.

I"ll remember that little tidbit, as I didn't know about the whole gauge full issue.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride