Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default OBD 2 readers

Jeff (Corsair23) brought his Scan Gauge II along on our trip to the Rubicon Trail. I have to say, I'm hooked. Seeing this data was really nice.

Before I buy one, I'm wondering what my options are. What are the rest of you using to read this data?
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Hmmm. OBDKey is wireless and works via Bluetooth. I don't see that it would work with my Blackberry, however.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

I've used both the Auto Enginuity and the SGII.

The Auto Enginuity has more direct readings, does bluetooth, and supports both PDA's and PC readouts & logging. The "dongle" that plugs into the ODBII port is about 6" long, so you can't conveniently leave it plugged in for long periods. It will capture & graph O2 sensor readings, timings, Long Term & Short Term fuel trim, MAF flow rates, and lots of other details. No "derived" values. Notably, it does NOT track/log OPEN/CLOSED loop operation, nor system voltage (you can see the current value of either by digging through menus, but they are not tracked/graphed the way the other parameters are).

The SGII is really more of a leave-there-all-the-time monitoring tool. Less details, more "programmable", and very useful. It will display derived MPG & HP values, along with quite a few other ODBII parameters, including OPEN/CLOSED loop status. It's selection of values to display is more limited than the AutoEnginuity.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

I picked up a low end code reader/reset unit for the Bronco. It worked just fine for what it did, i.e. read out stored codes and reset the check engine light. Since putting on headers and a new exhaust, the check engine light has not been an issue. The reader is not nearly as sophisticated as the units discussed earlier in the thread but for $30 I could monitor the codes and reset the light as needed.
TLCA #18941
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

I use this thing called Techstream. It's actually a laptop (Toughbook) and has a special adapter that connects to the bottom creating and interface between the OBD2 and the laptop. It lets you graph anything the ECU reads and can even download ECU updates to the ECU or anything else that has a computer. It will even interface with Toyota Information System, and is sponsored by Toyota, costs about 8,000 dollars and sits at Burt Toyota until I need to use it :tongue: Neener, neener!

But those sound cool too.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I use this thing called Techstream. It's actually a laptop (Toughbook) and has a special adapter that connects to the bottom creating and interface between the OBD2 and the laptop. It lets you graph anything the ECU reads and can even download ECU updates to the ECU or anything else that has a computer. It will even interface with Toyota Information System, and is sponsored by Toyota, costs about 8,000 dollars and sits at Burt Toyota until I need to use it :tongue: Neener, neener!

But those sound cool too.
Hmmm. Are there any Toyota updates to the 1996 Land Cruiser ECU? If there are, what do they do?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Matt,

Here are some MUD threads that might be helpful...

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

I wish this was available for OBDII. It is software for Buell motorcycles. With a USB to TTL serial cable, it communicates directly with the motorcycle's ECM. You can change any value. Which means of course that you can screw yourself up royally, but if you fetch the original EEPROM, you can save it to flat file and burn it to CD. You can always go back.

This is the overview. Pretty basic, but notice you have the O2 (EGO) voltage and correction factors for closed loop. This sets the Adaptive Fuel Value (AFV) the ECM uses to correct the mixture. It tells you how far off you are.
Name:  Overview.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  76.6 KB

ECM Runtime gives you more info, in realtime. Sorry I don't have a running screenshot. It's cool.
Name:  ECM Runtime.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  77.3 KB

These are the fuel and timing maps. You can manipulate any cell and burn it to the EEPROM. It also has realtime feedback on which cell the motor is on at any particular time. You can show the CL regions, WOT regions, etc. (which I did in the screenshot, I did not draw these lines).
Name:  Fuel Map.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  Timing Map.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  84.3 KB

Lots of control here:
Name:  Other Maps.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  95.3 KB
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

And here:
Name:  ECM-Config.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  64.3 KB

The software is sophisticated, reliable, written by a German software engineer who is a Buell rider, and costs.... nothing. Free. Gratis. Really.

The cable costs about $30 in parts, or a fella in Britain will build you one for $50 shipped. Someone in Texas will do the same. The drivers are freeware.

The capability of doing this with a Toyota is there. All it needs is a bored German software engineer with a passion for Toyotas.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Trail Ready

I've always used this. Pretty basic, but always works...
Attached Images

88 Toyota XCab Pickup- Daily Driver