Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Question CO License Plates with Amateur Call Sign

I was looking at this page on the Colorado DMV. When I click on Amateur Call Letters, it says this:
Special Plate Fees:
Yes, in addition to other taxes and fees an annual fee of $2.00 will be collected for the issuance or
replacement of the Amateur Call Letter license plates.

May Be Personalized:
Yes, a one-time fee of $2.00 upon approval and a $2.00 fee will be collected each year thereafter.
I thought these plates were supposed to be cheaper or something? Looks like they are $2 more expensive, which isn't really a big deal, but I'm just trying to clarify this.

The plate also shows "S C L" on the left -- what does this stand for?
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

Last edited by Hulk; 06-27-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just remember...

While , having your HAM call sign on your license plate means anyone can figure out who you are and where you live via a simple search...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

SCL = Shortwave Call Letter

There is a $2.00 fee to process the plates, but IIRC the plate doesn't cost any more to get made, whereas a personalized plate costs buku.

I never bought into the belief that I needed to worry about people using my callsign to find me. Other than address (and lat and long), there is not other personal information that is given about an amateur when looking up their callsign. If someone is going to be eager enough to find my vehicle and hence me, I think they will find me, regardless of my plate. But then I don't live in a gated community or anything, and the road to my driveway is public.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I never bought into the belief that I needed to worry about people using my callsign to find me. Other than address (and lat and long), there is not other personal information that is given about an amateur when looking up their callsign. If someone is going to be eager enough to find my vehicle and hence me, I think they will find me, regardless of my plate. But then I don't live in a gated community or anything, and the road to my driveway is public.
I completely agree. Someone can find me via the phone book, by calling information, googling me, and a myriad of other ways that I probably haven't thought of. I honestly am not really worried about my call sign being public. I have a limited number of minutes on this earth -- I'm not going to spend much time worried about security scenarios that are as far-fetched as worrying about my call sign on my license plate. If my car gets stolen, I'll build another one.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't think it's stretch to see a call sign license plate on an obviously built-up Cruiser with dents and stuff (i.e., not just a boulevard Cruiser) and then be able to put two and two together to conclude that the person who owns that truck obviously has (1) money to own a nice truck, (b) expensive radios, (3) tools in the garage and (d) is probably gone out of town on trips a lot. Doesn't seem like a far fetch scenario to me. I wouldn't think much about having my call sign on a POS beater commuter, but seems advertising it is just a bit too overstated to me. That would assume a would-be low life could make the call sign to personal info leap and that's probably an iffy jump in intelligence. None-the-less, I prefer not to have too many identifiers on my truck that make it too easy to figure out where that truck stays between times we're gone out of town. I try to be careful about any license plate number being associated with the truck in photos and try to avoid posting pictures of my garage and house, particularly from the outside, too. It's not about someone finding out who I am, it's just phone book info like you say, but just trying to keep a low profile on giving away too much information too easily.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Have your license info goto a PO Box if your worried. Mine currently does by Summit County default. But I do get home delivery in Durango so I've been pondering the same decision based on the same concerns as to whether or not I want to get the plates myself.

The $2.00 fee is probably the cheapest of specialized plates. My wildlife plates on the 60 cost me an extra $70 I think. I see they are now $115.00 in addition to the normal fees
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I don't think it's stretch to see a call sign license plate on an obviously built-up Cruiser with dents and stuff (i.e., not just a boulevard Cruiser) and then be able to put two and two together to conclude that the person who owns that truck obviously has (1) money to own a nice truck, (b) expensive radios, (3) tools in the garage and (d) is probably gone out of town on trips a lot. Doesn't seem like a far fetch scenario to me. I wouldn't think much about having my call sign on a POS beater commuter, but seems advertising it is just a bit too overstated to me. That would assume a would-be low life could make the call sign to personal info leap and that's probably an iffy jump in intelligence. None-the-less, I prefer not to have too many identifiers on my truck that make it too easy to figure out where that truck stays between times we're gone out of town. I try to be careful about any license plate number being associated with the truck in photos and try to avoid posting pictures of my garage and house, particularly from the outside, too. It's not about someone finding out who I am, it's just phone book info like you say, but just trying to keep a low profile on giving away too much information too easily.
1. My radios (at least the faceplate. the main body is tucked away inbetween the door panel stuff and the inside of the body) leave the vehicle when I am not around. The statement that because someone has a nice truck is enough to encourage thieves and bad people is valid, nice radios or not. The callsign license plate IMHO does not drive up the number of possible bad people who look at my car as a target significantly more than would a snorkel or big bumpers.

2. I have the license plate on there to encourage other HAMs to call when they spot the vehicle. I need to put on my oval sticker that says "QRZ-52" to encourage more. That means that I am almost always at least scanning 146.520 when I am in the truck driving. I have made a fair amount of contacts with other HAMs on the roads this way. For me its part of the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Have your license info goto a PO Box if your worried. Mine currently does by Summit County default. But I do get home delivery in Durango so I've been pondering the same decision based on the same concerns as to whether or not I want to get the plates myself.

The $2.00 fee is probably the cheapest of specialized plates. My wildlife plates on the 60 cost me an extra $70 I think. I see they are now $115.00 in addition to the normal fees
The FCC requires a physical mailing address to attach the "station" to. No po boxes allowed.

Those are some jacked up fees!!

Just remember, how many times before you got your ticket did you even notice an antenna or a callsign plate? Not many people other than HAM folks even notice. It just looks like a regular plate.

Dave, I think this makes #2 things that we don't agree on! No worries.

Last edited by Groucho; 06-27-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
1. My radios (at least the faceplate. the main body is tucked away inbetween the door panel stuff and the inside of the body) leave the vehicle when I am not around. The statement that because someone has a nice truck is enough to encourage thieves and bad people is valid, nice radios or not. The callsign license plate IMHO does not drive up the number of possible bad people who look at my car as a target significantly more than would a snorkel or big bumpers.
I'm not thinking about the truck, someone is probably gonna jack with my radio no matter if I have a special license plate or not. I'm thinking about linking a call sign on a truck that leads to an address that someone will probably not be home while they're out driving and camping in their truck. Getting my drift?
Quote:
2. I have the license plate on there to encourage other HAMs to call when they spot the vehicle. I need to put on my oval sticker that says "QRZ-52" to encourage more. That means that I am almost always at least scanning 146.520 when I am in the truck driving. I have made a fair amount of contacts with other HAMs on the roads this way. For me its part of the hobby.
This is obviously the upside, no doubt.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I get the drift.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I'm not thinking about the truck, someone is probably gonna jack with my radio no matter if I have a special license plate or not. I'm thinking about linking a call sign on a truck that leads to an address that someone will probably not be home while they're out driving and camping in their truck. Getting my drift?
Are the black choppers circling today
TLCA#4180