Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default Good choice?

Yes, I am stirring the pot but I gotta get this thread going....
Who, on the Rubithon trip, is happy they had 2M?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

The HT I borrowed from Tim was great. I was able to listen in on lots of trail chat while I was walking the trail.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

I am. I was even talking with Matt after we split up on the way home and we must have been 2- to 50 miles apart. The banter on the radio on the way there was fun and crystal clear and there were some situations we were in that the CBs just wouldn't have worked
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

2M makes everything better. At one point, we were hitting Dave Armbruster all the way across Lake Tahoe and over the mountains.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

It was great. Got me pretty quick response on the trail when I broke. I wasn't caravaning out or back with anyone so it was less useful on the road. But I'm still glad I have it.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Rising Sun member

I heard someone got hurt and 2m was used to bring in the rescue crew - true?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
True, Uncle Ben called it in I believe, too.

Nakman and I were driving between Reno and Carson City when I heard the in and out signal of Matt. Had both Hulk and I stopped at whatever locations were at that moment, we'd have been talking simplex from highway 389 to probably Robb's Valley Resort through the hills. That was across Lake Tahoe, through the eastern foothills and into the Rubicon River valley up there. Pretty cool. But as it was we were both moving the contact didn't hold out.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

I enjoyed the HT I borrowed from Jeff more than enough motivation to get off my butt and get my lic
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Commander

It's almost silly to compare the two anymore.. few stories:

I ran into one morning who was about to run a mile or so back to camp to catch up with NorCal to get his jacket back.. I handed him the HT and in 5 minutes his jacket was in one of our trucks, no running required. We then proceeded to monitor (and talk to) all of those guys going up Cadillac Hill while we were at breakfast.

Then on the way home still west of Vail we spoke with Ricardo via the Colo. Connection, which was nice to hear a familiar and friendly voice still a couple hours from home. The best part of the road trip is just talking about anything, for hours on end, with the other trucks in the caravan. Keeps you awake if nothing else, and the sound quality is great so it doesn't wear you out like a CB would.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
True! I was walking back from Registration and this older gentleman was frantically working his way north borrowing CB's trying to reach the med crews at the far north side of the springs. The guy was besides himself as he was not able to get help. I heard his panic and asked if I could help. He told me there was a young girl in the water with a badly broken leg and he needed med help. He had the sheet of med info with him so I whipped out my HT from my back pocket, punched in the 2m freq listed, hailed med emergency along with my call sign. I immediately reached one of the EMT's and handed the HT to the guy in need. The information and locations were shared and he handed it back to me, I cleared my station by my call sign and within only a couple minutes we could hear vehicles hauling butt up the road. CB-0 Ham scored huge!

While we were working our way to Buck Island the first night I was chatting with Robbie several times and knew exactly where they were with the FJC group. Same for Thursday when we headed into the Springs. I hailed Robbie later and found he was finally working the FJC's down Big Sluce so several of us hiked to the bridge and welcomed them to camp.

When Sharkbait broke on Caddy the rest of us cleared the trail by getting everyone ahead of Chris up to Observation Point. Chris wanted some of my tools so Root and I grabbed stuff and started hiking back down. Half way in between where we parked and where Chris was broke, Chris pinged us and let us know he was getting fixed and we didn't need to come all the way down. During this whole escapade the folks (including Robbie) that were behind us waiting to leave knew the status because of a couple with 2m that were in the loop of communication.

One note I have to make is since our club is now Ham equipped the CB's in several rigs are either not working well or in need of maintainance. This is a problem as for example on Caddy Hill, Bruce Schuck our assigned leader, was out of the loop and could not communicate with most of our group. I handed him my HT so he could get info that was being passed first hand but like I have said all along CB are and will be the main mode of trail communication for the masses and being elitist and relying only on Ham will handicap!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior