Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default official - fishing with the rising sun: Metberry Gulch Saturday July12/13th

Ok,

here we go, the first official "fishing with rising sun" trip!

We are going to start off with an easy one. There are not many 4wd/fishing combos out there, so we are going to get in what we can this season. I would like to get in at least 1 per month.

This trip we will visit the South Platte, south of Deckers, and north of Eleven Mile Canyon in the Hayman Burn Area. Metberry Gulch.

Directions/reference material http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=209

We will be leaving EARLY Saturday morning, meeting to caravan from the outlet shops at castle rock. I would like to leave there NO LATER than 7:15, 7:00am would be preferred. Anyone not making the departure should plan to meet at the river. We will take up as much space to reserve for late comers.

Tentative schedule: arrive, fish, lunch, fish, dinner, fish sleep repeat. leave around 2pm Sunday for home.

The road dead-ends in a parking/camping area at the river. It does see a lot of traffic during the day, but we should be ok to sleep there, as this is not a popular night run. Optional, is we could backpack across the river, and camp on FS land.

The river is pasture style in this area, with some pooling. Terrestrials, caddis variants, and of course nymphs will be needed. Beginners are welcome, as I am sure that we will have enough vets to teach.

I practice catch and release, would encourage all to do so, with the exception of brook trout, which are like xj's and wranglers, there are so damn many of them, who will miss a few anyway...

Please respond with who's in and if you are camping or not

See ya out there!

j
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

John, what would it cost to get a decent set of gear? I'd like to learn.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
John, what would it cost to get a decent set of gear? I'd like to learn.
That is loaded question. There are rod reel combos to be had for 50.00. Line/backing is usually included in the starter kits. wallyworld, kmart and other places sell pre-packed deals like this. Flies and accessories will run you another 50.00

you don't need waders in the summer, if you don't mind getting the boys a little cold/wet once and a while.

You can also borrow, but the problem there is, if you break a pole, you are usually replacing a few hundred dollars. My cheap rod is around 150.00 fwiw.

Riverbum.com is the best source for western flies, at a very reasonable costing. I or others can provide you with a list of flies to get, in what sizes to start with. Most people spend too much time listening to "guides" and buy way too many flies. Walmart also carries jackson-cardnial flies, which are decent flies for factory tied ones.

You will need clippers for line(nail clippers will work), a few leaders/tippet (monofilament) and that's really it.

Best supply shop near you is "discount fishing tackle" on s santa fe, near belleview. I have a vest you (or someone else) can have for a six-pack.

j
Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Trail Ready

I've never been flyfishing, but would really like to learn. Would it be appropriate for me to come if I picked up some gear?
http://www.coloradolandcruisers.org

86 4runner
Old 06-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Jerk View Post
I've never been flyfishing, but would really like to learn. Would it be appropriate for me to come if I picked up some gear?

absolutely. I just don't have enough to loan out to everyone.

I can see if my best fishing buddy (former pro guide) can assist. my normal guide rate will apply. buy/cook me dinner or feed me beverages... his fee was 450/day back in the day

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun member

I'm going to try to make it. Never caught anything yet on my fly rod, so I count myself a beginner...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Trail Ready

As much as I would really love to do this, I can't.

Thanks for the offer, and if you decide to do it again I would love to do it.

Have fun!
http://www.coloradolandcruisers.org

86 4runner
Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

bumpity... come awn, wheeling, fishing, camping and beverages in camp... how can you NOT be into this?

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Lifted

I am in.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'll be riding the triple bypass bike ride on my mountain tandem on the 12th so Im out too.