Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

I greased the shaft joints a few weeks ago and noticed no changed in the sound. the ujoint bearings feel tight enough to me but they're not hot. The spline may have a bit of wear in it. I'll drop off the shaft today at Boulder Driveline and see what they say.

The thicker oil is a good idea. I'm not positive but I think the noise took a while to become noticeable when driving in cold weather. Maybe the 75-90w had enough of a viscosity change as it came up to temp in February to impact the noise.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Did you notice any change in sound when you put on the lift? I can't remember when that was... was it February? Testing the steeper driveline angles=more sound hypothesis..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had the exact same issue...there is a thread somewhere here about it...pulled the front driveshaft and I had a bad u-joint. It is at Englewood Driveshaft right now getting both u-joints replaced.
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

I read the timmbuck2 thread and yes its sounds similar. I hope its the driveshaft but I doubt it. I took the shaft over to Boulder Driveline. Ron said the ujoints feel like they should. He's going to go ahead and retube the thing with some thicker material. That should make it more durable and might improve the balance.

After I get it back on the truck, I'll try some 140wt oil in the diff. One drawback to the full floater axle is the lack of an inspection cover. I'd reall like to be able to examine the ring gear. Anyone got a bore scope that I can poke in the fill hole?

The significant question for anyone whose had a driveshaft related noise, was the noise at a low enough freq to match up with tire rpm? i.e. did it sound like a rock stuck in the tread at 7Hz or was it more of a rumble at 28Hz? (at 40mph)
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Rising Sun member

I'm coming into this late, but even with the rear driveshaft pulled your rear diff is spinning, so if the noise is gone then I would say, like everyone else, that it is a driveshaft issue. But then like you say if it was a driveshaft issue it wouldn't follow the frequency of the tires, it should be 4 or 5 times the rotational frequency of the tires.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I read the timmbuck2 thread and yes its sounds similar. I hope its the driveshaft but I doubt it. I took the shaft over to Boulder Driveline. Ron said the ujoints feel like they should. He's going to go ahead and retube the thing with some thicker material. That should make it more durable and might improve the balance.

After I get it back on the truck, I'll try some 140wt oil in the diff. One drawback to the full floater axle is the lack of an inspection cover. I'd reall like to be able to examine the ring gear. Anyone got a bore scope that I can poke in the fill hole?

The significant question for anyone whose had a driveshaft related noise, was the noise at a low enough freq to match up with tire rpm? i.e. did it sound like a rock stuck in the tread at 7Hz or was it more of a rumble at 28Hz? (at 40mph)
The 80 rear driveshaft can make a nice grumble at low speed, say 40-50, and then run clean at higher speeds. It makes no sense to me, but I finally pulled mine and had it rebalanced and it was like a new rig for $50.

Having worked with just about every driveshaft configuration imaginable on my old XJ, including a double double-cardan, I thought I could diagnose a driveshaft in my sleep, and this one was so much like the tires at low speed that it took me about six months to wake up and take it to a shop (Driveline Services in the Springs).

The tech said it all felt fine, just a balance tweak was required, but it was night and day rumble to smooth. Good luck
Old 07-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

The rebuilt shaft is back on the truck and the noise is reduced. Its not totally gone but its not as loud and seems to no longer be tied to the gas pedal. Now it sounds more like a mild tire sound that is constant whether you're on the gas or coasting. I'm shocked. I'm still trying figure out how rebalancing the shaft could do what it did. I think the spline was also cleaned and greased but the ujoints and the spline were not replaced, just the main tube. So far I've only driven it to the airport, (business trip to NY) but it'll be interesting to see if the improvement is permanent or maybe due to fresh grease in the spline. Thanks for all the advice pointing to the driveshaft.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Take the front shaft off and see what it does. I had to do both shafts to get my noise completely fixed
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

I spoke too soon. I drove home from the airport yesterday and the noise just as bad as it was and most definitely still tied to the load on the drivetrain. Now I'm groping for an explanation as to how it could be so different driving to and from the airport. It was really hot yesterday which might make the diff oil a bit thinner than on a cool day but I would expect the gear and bearing action in the diff to create much more heat than simply baking in a 100 deg parking lot. Maybe the tires developed some flat spots from sitting for three days in the heat? They're not bias ply tires but I'me really reaching here. I'll likely still try the 140 wt oil and maybe try pulling the front shaft just to see what happens.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

The latest.... Noise is still there, definitely unchanged with the front shaft removed. I've got 140 oil in the rear diff. The operating temp went up to 150F from 120F, noise unchanged. As before, the noise is gone when running with only the front driveshaft. The rear shaft has been retubed and balanced. I'm thinking about sticking a vibration analyzer to the diff housing to see if I can measure the vibe - mostly because its easy. I'm leaning towards pulling the rear diff and having the gears and bearings replaced. What's the consensus on used gears? Do they tend to make noise when installed in another housing? Also, would a basic Cruiser diff (FJ60?) fit in there? Would the drive flange match an 80 driveshaft? I sold my 60 spare a while ago but if one like it would fit, that could be a temp fix while the locked diff is out being rebuilt. 3.73 would be fine as I'm in rear wheel drive at the moment. Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by 60wag; 07-21-2008 at 08:27 PM.