Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Slaughterhouse - update from the Go4s President

Thought y'all might be interested- and know that Rising Sun volunteered to help with this project. No dates have been determined yet.
Quote:
Slaughterhouse Gultch Grant Work

Posted by: "Ken Urban" mountainjeep@yahoo.com mountainjeep

Mon Jul 7, 2008 10:49 am (PDT)

Update on the money. I just heard from the Forest Service and our contract has been signed and I have submitted a form this morning requesting 100% of the funds up front. I believe that we will have the money this week so lets start moving on this.

Below is a list of projects that we identified on our scouting trip, I have taken my notes from that trip and grouped everything into 6 projects. They are listed in what I believe is their priority and the order of importance if we are not able to finish each project, 1 as being priority one. I have also attached a spreadsheet that I started to complete that has some additional details on each project along with the number of people needed to complete the project, the number of hours that it would take (assuming that the number of people that are needed are actually there), and the equipment for each project site. My best estimate is that we will need approximately 35 people in total to complete all six projects in the one day. FYI, stringing the cable will not be possible as the concrete will need to dry but the F.S. would like to ask for the help of 7 or so volunteers to make it out there the following weekend to help with the cable.
Should be fun as there will be heavy equipment being used to haul and string the cables...

Anyway, please take a look and please offer any suggestions or feedback. Also, we will need to start having volunteers step up and tackle some of the many tasks that we have ahead of us in the next two weeks.

PROJECT LIST
1. Project 1 - Stump Hill - Bottom
1. Post and cable the bottom of the hill to close the hill. Approximately 100 feet.
2. Dig out two small signs and move them forward near where the cable fence will be.
3. Possibly remove and plant 5 or 6 small Aspens from the surrounding area to help block off Stump Hill.
2. Project 2 - Stump Hill -Top
1. Post and cable approximately 80 feet. Bobcat will not make it up here, so a two man auger will be needed.
3. Project 3 - Mud Pit
1. Post and cable approximately 250 feet to block off the entrance of the mud pits.
2. Possibly weld tubing to the top of the posts in addition to the two cables.
4. Project 4 - Illegal Shortcut of Switchback (Mile or so in from entrance) - Bottom
1. Have two metal signs made, one that states "Easy Route" and the other that states "Harder Route"
2. Post and cable approximately 100 feet to block off the one shortcut
5. Project 5 - Illegal Shortcut of Switchback (Mile or so in from entrance) - Top
1. Post and cable approximately 200 feet to block off camping area and the one switchback. Leave small opening for foot traffic.
2. Create a small parking area for campers
6. Project 6 - General Sign Maintenance / Water Mitigation
1. There is a metal sign laying at the entrance of the trail that says "4WD ONLY" on it. We need to find a place near the entrance to place this sign and mount this sign in concrete.
2. Run the entire loop and paint all of the metal signs yellow (there are approximately 10).
3. Add carsonite "NO MOTOR VEHICLE" sign at large camp area. This area is right after the first mud pit.
4. Add "Slaughterhouse Maintained by Colorado Go4's" sign
5. Add a water berm to prevent the water from flowing down the trail right after first mud hole
6. Add a water berm to prevent the water from flowing down the trail right after the large camp area.
Also, Rick's wife has volunteered to help with lunch detail, and I am sure she will need some help with that detail...

Ken - Prez
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, that's ambitious for two weeks and 35 people.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

This is a conflict with the Jenny Creek project; nevertheless, here is more info:
Quote:
Looks like we need to firm up who will be attending the actual work trip on the 19th. From the list that Ken has worked up, we will need anywhere from 20-35 people to get all this stuff done in a day. So, this is an all-hands call.

We can meet at the Fort and Carpool up for those having a tough time getting the scratch for gas, so don't let that hold you back!

This should be a fun project getting together to give a little back to the land and our trail for all the enjoyment everyone gets out of it.

Attending the actual work trip the weekend of July 19th. Also, add names of people that will joining you, such as children, spouses, friends... (Yes, invite all, we will need the help...)
1. Ken Urban
2. Philip Greer
3. Jeff Henderson and friend
4. Allen - possibility - new job

5. Brian Rose
6. Rick & Aleshia Lane (helping with Lunch)
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Rising Sun member

the 19th is the Ghost Town Run, not Jenny Creek.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Oh yeah, huh... DOH! My week is booked starting the 19th so it all ran together in my mind.

They are in real need of volunteers. This is a real opportunity to make a difference, and all the work will be staged. We have proven that Rising Sun can gitter dun in a serious way, so if you can find any way to do this, I strongly encourage you to have a fun, productive day in saving a very valuable 4-season 4x4 area!

Post to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/go4s/messages if you can make it.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I can make time is there a meeting place and time set for the work group. If so where?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

They have done a good job closing Stump Hill already. It's really filled in with plant growth, and no longer looks like trail the way it did a couple of years ago.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Volmer View Post
I can make time is there a meeting place and time set for the work group. If so where?
Check out the Go4s Yahoo! group for details. Be sure to sign up there, and thanks, Art!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Slaughterhouse work day postponed til August

From Go-4s:
Quote:
GO4s
Minutes of the meeting 7-11-08:

Ken heard that the Slaughterhouse Grant money MIGHT get to us by 7-15, and
suggested we postpone the work trip. Distributed printout of project spreadsheet,
I believe it's the same as the one in the emails.
John suggested we wait for the money, then reschedule.
Voted - passed - Slaughterhouse work trip is postponed 'til mid-August.

Rick has lined up equipment and supplies: bobcat with tracks,
2 - 55 gal. drums, 1460 feet of cable, 350' pipe, etc.
We will need 80 bags of concrete.
Please email the group to volunteer transport of materials between now and
August, we might stockpile stuff to make sure have it in time for the work trip.
Goodies can be stored in a warehouse courtesy Rick's S. O. (significant other).

KEN: call Scott D. Monday RE: pipe.
KEN: find out if grant money can be used for fuel to get us to the trail?

(Wendell?) suggested we ask 4WD stores (ORL, 4wheelparts, etc.) to donate
doorprizes for the work trip, might get more volunteers from other groups, 'net, etc.
KEN: Need an official donation request letter signed by club Pres.

KDØRCH
Bio Page