Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is there a vacuum line running off the right side of the distributor? (from the diaphragm housing). If so, where is it going?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Lifted

Yes, but it's not hooked up to anything. Where should that be going? Also, there was a line T'd off of the PCV hose near the carb that was capped off.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

That's a non usa vac advance dist
TLCA#4180
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Not sure if the non-usa distributor has mechanical advance in addition to the vac. I'm betting that you are not getting enough advance with that line on your distributor disconnected. It should be connected to ported vacuum on the carb body.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Lifted

It doesn't look like the Weber has any vacuum ports, though. I'm not sure if there's a viable workaround for that or not.

I'm also still not sure how this problem is popping up now after working fine for so long. Seems like not having a vacuum on there should have been a problem from the get go.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Have you tried spraying carb cleaner into the carb throat to see if that has any effect?

Most people I know who had webers on a 40 pitched them and went back to stock after they ran for a while they developed problems
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
It doesn't look like the Weber has any vacuum ports, though. I'm not sure if there's a viable workaround for that or not.
Look around the carb body below the level of the butterfly. I think the webers do have a ported vacuum connection somewhere.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Rising Sun member

IIRC, the Weber 32/36 is a unit that works ok (and just ok) on a 2F, though as Romer said most people eventually get to the point where they put a stock Aisan back on.

As far as stumbling is concerned, the accelerator pump (I'm assuming Webers have these like any other carb I've seen) may have gone bad for some reason. If you take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb and pull on the throttle linkage, a spray of fuel should go into the carb. Not a dribble, but a stream. If that is not working for some reason, then you may have stumbling issues when you hit the gas. And like Martin said, there should be vacuum advance on the distributor (seeing as FJ40s did not come with electronically controlled timing), and a vacuum hose should be running from the distributor to a vacuum port on the carb. I can probably come over tonight for a little bit and take a look-see, though I don't really know all that much there are a few basic things I'm aware of.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 06-11-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
As far as stumbling is concerned, the accelerator pump (I'm assuming Webers have these like any other carb I've seen) may have gone bad for some reason. If you take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb and pull on the throttle linkage, a spray of fuel should go into the carb. Not a dribble, but a mist.
You may have just hit it there. It's definitely not a mist that's coming out. I'll check that out tonight, as well as run some carb cleaner and see what happens. If it is the accelerator pump, how would I go about fixing that?

Also, I've searched that carb from every angle, and just don't see any vacuum port, let alone a free one for the dist.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Rising Sun member

rebuild kit. Usually it's a plunger inside a cylinder. The cylinder fills up with fuel when running normally, then when you hit the gas the plunger pressurizes the fuel slightly to force it into the intake just as the butterflies are opening up.

The plunger can become deteriorated, the walls of the cylinder may be dirty/have stuff that has destroyed the plunger, or the paths for the fuel to flow may be blocked. Checking the fuel filter (easy to replace)/fuel lines for cleanliness, as well as the bowl on the carb should help, but if you end up doing a rebuild make sure to clean out the fuel passages with a solvent and then blowing clean (from both sides if possible) with compressed air.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD