Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Good job, Ige!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

tore into my old ps pump last night. everything looked ok and measured out ok, so i gave it a shot rebuilding it. looks like just in time cause the pump steve loaned me is just starting to leak. so, in a few months when i get around to it (probably when it's 10 degrees and snowing out), we'll see if my pump actually is salvagable and if i can rebuild em if so, i'll be passing romer's old pump on to whomever needs is
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

got a little bit more done. installed new pvc and grommet, also had to do hose since the old one ripped in half when i tried to get the pvc valve out, then adjusted the tranny cable.

from there, it was on to operation scary exhaust. while i'm a bit nervous about my skills welding a seam sealed and in a hard to get to spot, i decided i just had to get it over with, so out came the sawzall and the scary chunk of exhaust.

for now, i'll weld in a less restrictive 2 1/4 chunk of straight to a small piece of flex in place of whatever the f...this was.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

this was all on the same side as the slider that was welded at the wrong angle, had too big of a kickout hoop, and fell off, so i figured now was a good time to get the "mount" for the slider cut off. still need to grind what's left down.

also figured i'd take a look at the one rust spot that was on the body since it seemed like it has grown exponentially in the last few months. it has.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

temp exhaust ain't pretty, but it is done. much straighter path and 1/4" larger diameter so that hopefully will help the engine breath. and it still doesn't hang down any more than the p.o.s elbows on the old exhaust, there's just more there. i'm not too concerned since i won't be gettting much wheeling in for a while and it is a temporary setup. new exhaust from the headers back is pretty high on my list.

did find out that of all my local auto parts stores, advance has the best choices for exhaust (and even theirs sucks), no one carries just straight exhaust tubing (it all has the flare at the end, which just means more stuff to play with the welder on ), flex pipe only comes with one saddle clamp, and contrary to the proper way to install flex, you can weld it on when you realize you can't find any of the saddle clamps that you know you have somewhere

used a flattened corner bracket to make a support to the frame, also not pretty, but now my exhaust doesn't shake like it use to either.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 09-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Hey, looks good! Woot!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

thanks matt. there are three pinhole leaks on my welds...i'm not too concerned right now.

also got the new plugs in, gapped at .031 as per the manual. old plugs were at .044.

pulled apart the dash and cleaned up all the plastic real well, got the fast food restaurant cleaned off the inside of the steering column lower cover, glued the infamous broken tripmeter part.

slowly but surely getting there.

also pulled the 55 out and fired it up again. the battery was dang near dead, so i put a different one in and let it run a bit in the driveway. now it's not doing it's weird electrical thing. (ammeter would spike with the throttle, but not until the engine was at operating temp.). i'll drive it to work a couple of days and see what happens.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun member

And Ige keeps lovin' on the 80...

lots of issues, but it's looking better all the time!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Hmmmm....for a vehicle that has no soul.....I'd say Ige had definately tapped into that 80's inner being!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

The 80 has soul like mayonnaise has soul. The white man's spicy sandwich spread.

Nice job, Ige! Hard work paying off.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.