Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 2M action on the Rally Runs????

I'll start one for a change! Red Cone, Wheeler and maybe others..... Good chance to try some peak to peak tranmissions???? We need to post trail channels and maybe a call time????
Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Yes, I think so too...

Plus, you guys will have Seldom Seen and I to talk to on Mt Bross. We are doing the HAM 14er event http://www.14er.org on that sunday, which is why I can't help lead/gun runs.

Here are the simplex frequencies for that event, maybe we can coordinate everyone to help us make contacts!

Primary 2M FM Frequency
(go here first to find activity, then
move up 15 kZ as the frequency gets busy)

Primary 70 cm FM frequency
Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Here are the simplex frequencies for that event, maybe we can coordinate everyone to help us make contacts!
From Mt Bross, you guys on Red Cone will have a good chance of hearing them. Certainly on Wheeler we'll be listening, although it might be easier to string up a clothes line and a cans from Bross to Wheeler Lake. Heck, just throw notes tied to rocks from the lake to the summit of Bross.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
From Mt Bross, you guys on Red Cone will have a good chance of hearing them. Certainly on Wheeler we'll be listening, although it might be easier to string up a clothes line and a cans from Bross to Wheeler Lake. Heck, just throw notes tied to rocks from the lake to the summit of Bross.
All the 14ers around Wheeler Lake will have HAM operators on them. Lincoln and Democrat will be stationed, as well as us on Mt Bross. The purpose is to make as many 14er to 14er contacts as possible, as well as many non-14er contacts as well. Longest distance (usually made by contacting the group on Mt Sunflower in Kansas), longest distance between 14ers are all categories for the event.

The event is not set up like most HAM radio events, where people are scrambling for points and multipliers. Rather, it is in the interest of fun of Mountaineering and HAM radio. Anyone who wants to make contact may do so and is encouraged to do so, regardless of QTH. Thats what makes it fun. It is really excited and confusing when it begins, but it calms down to a nice pace after most of the mountian top operators get on the air and situated.

From Mt Princeton on my HT using a homebrew 3 element 2M yagi I made contacts on the front range as well as to Pike Peak on 1 watt.

Brian and I will be using 2 2M yagis, a 6 element tri-bander for HF (with the possibility for a linear amplifier hooked up--lifes too short for QRP, ain't it?) so give us a call! We'll look for you guys!