Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default GPS recommendations

I am thinking of getting a Garmin type GPS for the car. I went to do a trail last weekend and got totally lost.

I hear you guys asking if anyone has GPSd a specific trail.

Can anyone give me reccomendations on which GPS is better, etc..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Rock Stacker

is this for roads? or trails?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Chris,

In general any commercial GPS receiver will suit your needs from a reception standpoint. Having an external antenna can be helpful, but is really not necessary. I think what you really need to investigate is how accurate is the mapping that comes with it and/or can be added to the unit via a topo program on a PC, or even via wireless. You also need to make sure that you can effectively navigate the user interface.

I happen to have an older Garmin Street Pilot, which I have outgrown. Some of the others may have more specific recommendations.

If you would like very detailed technical information on GPS I can help with that too.

Cheers,

Jeff (GPS Superfreak)
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Jeff!

I am leaning toward the Kenwood DNX7120 indash. It palys Dvds, Garmin runs it's Nav, Blue tooth, Ipod, lots of ports 7" screen, back up mirror, XM, HD etc... all for $859.00

I will check but I want to be able to do what I think I have heard you guys talk about, loading in trails?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
I will check but I want to be able to do what I think I have heard you guys talk about, loading in trails?
Exactly

I bought a cheapy (Loox something or other) off Woot one night just to dip my foot into GPS and see what I really want/need. One definitive is the ability to map trails, export trail maps, import trail maps, etc.

I must say though this cheapy little unit I have showed us on the Engineer Pass trail all the way to Animas Forks as well as on Yakee Boy Basin last week. I think if I ever get serious about it I might look into what I believe Romer did/has and buy a PDA w/ GPS mapping software. I have an old color Palm PDA so maybe I'll look into what might be available for it.

Lots of good information over on MUD from what I remember in like the Expedition section or something like that.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Costco a few months back has the newer street pilot 7200 on sale for 480 or so(i would have to look for a price). I got it and I like it alot. I love the touch screen interface. I will be loading Garmin's backcountry software in it to help with the FS roads and such. It has the interface with computers through Mapsource, can make track logs and save way points. A real cool machine. Now I recently have seen on line a smaller touch screen GPS unit called the Oregon. I will be looking at this for a smaller version If I need one.
When we can afford it, I will be getting a indash one for the 4runner. I believe that the Navtec maps are the most accurate out there(based on my research, correct me if I am wrong). This is the maps that garmin use. Thanks for pointing me to Kenwood as I want the Navtec maps and Garmin software(anyone know other compaines that use garmin software).
Good luck on your search Chris.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have the Garmin 60CSX and it is great. Load the street pilot and you have directions anywhere you want. Load the off road map and you are ready to go.

I do have a Garmin Etrex Legend for sale, good starter unit for $70 LMK if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I found the Kenwood NDX7120 on ebay for 799.00...This is what a lot of my fellow crusier heads are doing in the Blue room......Can someone talk to my wife for me , she is not releasing any POs this month....Oh and I need a PO for the Camping lab tent also...OH and an Auxilliary battery set up..Brought all this up this morning over breakfst....man that milk was not the only thing cold this morning. brrrr....
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
I found the Kenwood NDX7120 on ebay for 799.00...This is what a lot of my fellow crusier heads are doing in the Blue room......Can someone talk to my wife for me , she is not releasing any POs this month....Oh and I need a PO for the Camping lab tent also...OH and an Auxilliary battery set up..Brought all this up this morning over breakfst....man that milk was not the only thing cold this morning. brrrr....

Chris,
I think you would be happier with the 8120! It is nearly the same as last years 7120 but has a full Bluetooth and Ipod interface built in (7120 is add on modules) plus it has more internal memory. By the time you add the modules into the 7120 you will have the same amount into it as the '08 8120. Also, read the Kenwood site as they will not honor any Gray market vendor deal with Kenwood warranty!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

I use a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and like it a lot. I can use it when hiking, when motorcycling, and it works just dandy in the truck. Weatherproof, just tested in a driving rain on a motorcycle at 75 MPH. It has SiRF III, and picks up satellites when you would think it couldn't.

Garmin's topo info sucks. I use Above The Timber's excellent Colorado map data which will load onto the 60CSx and display. Redraw is slower (due to extreme info) but acceptable. The Garmin junk is OK for Utah if you have a .gpx for the trail you want, not so much otherwise.

In-dash is not workable for me for a lot of reasons, some of which are above.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.