Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default EdgeStar Fridge/Freezer 43 qt

Has anyone else taken a look at Chris's "edgestar fridge/freezer" ?
I saw it last night and it was pretty cool...

Cheaper than the Engle or ARB (maybe a bit heavier?).

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP43...ances-Freezers

He said he left it running in Rubicon Springs for 2 days without starting the FJ, and then started the FJ right up (no jump starting) when it was time to climb cadillac hill....

Has anybody else heard any pro's and Cons about this vs the ARB and Engle ? For only $449 it seems like a smokin deal for a 43 qt
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-gear...r-fridges.html

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...light=edgestar

looks like it pulls quite a bit more power than the engel. If your always moving it's probably fine. If you hunt etc and don't drive for a few days it could be an issue.
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 08-07-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have the Waeco 53 Qt.was about the same price as the Engle/Arb 43qt. got excellent reviews in the Overland Journal summer 2007 copy.I have zero complaints so far works well on both fridge and freeze. PM me if you would like to check it out or borrow the Overland Journal Mag
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

I also have the Overland Journal fridge issue, just as a backup. I have an Engel, but it seems to me a toss up between them, both seem fine. I went with Engel because Slee sells them, that's about the extent of it.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default My edgestar

Hi guys,

I know the concerns are made in china and power pull.

I actually had it running for 3 days no driving before Rubi, to see what would happen, no issues. I think it pulls 2.5 coolling and 4.5 freezing.

The made in china thing is kind of unavoidable at this point, either made in australia or made in china, kind of moot.

I use it a lot and have been really happy with it. I will probably get the back up battery installed before my first fall overland trip, though, no sense in risking a battery failure for a cold one.

I bought the extended warranty for 50.00 and used my Amex. So I am covered. It is super quiet and cools very fast. The led display is also nice and I was told by an ARB owner that my fridge LED display was better then his.

The cost is like 40% less then the others, it seemed a worthy gamble, considering my watershed of mods before Rubicon. I blame all of you for throwing such an incredible event like Cruise Moab and getting me all pumped up on this hobby...

No nice insulated cover though like the ARBs, I was hoping for that accessory. I do not have drawers in the back, so I mounted it to the body with eye bolts and rubber tape to seal the drill wholes in the body.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
The made in china thing is kind of unavoidable at this point, either made in australia or made in china, kind of moot.
Whether it matters or not is up to each person in the end, but FWIW, Engel (and ARB) fridges are made in Malaysia and most of the accessories are made in Australia (at least the cover and Transit Lock were). Waeco has plants in Germany, Poland, Italy and China. I don't know where the fridges we get here in the USA come from, but I believe the compressors are still made in Germany.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

I just ordered one of these from compact appliance. It was $424.17 total with free shipping included.

I'm excited to see how it works.
82 FJ40
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

My guess is you are going to love it, especially for how much it cost...I have had zero issues with mine and still often leave it running for days, no battery pull as of yet..

Side benefit, you can use it to put your cold groceries in, if you are like me and forget that the grocery store was supposed to be your last stop not your first....

We use it when we go to Costco, all the time..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 06-30-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I just ordered one of these from compact appliance. It was $424.17 total with free shipping included.

I'm excited to see how it works.
Sounds like a great price but you must have bought one of the last ones - Link says that item doesn't exist anymore...

Are the 63qt ($519) or 86qt ($614) ones too big for general use? I'm thinking for CM trips mostly...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Are the 63qt ($519) or 86qt ($614) ones too big for general use? I'm thinking for CM trips mostly...
The MT45 is about 42 quarts if memory serves and this is big enough for up to about a week for us. The thing about sizing for a fridge is that you have to remember all the space is usable since there is no ice. So a 60 quart cooler will hold less food than a 45 quart fridge. Also with bigger fridges come more space, more battery drain, etc. Like with coolers, the more full the fridge is the better things stay cold, so a full 45 quarts will use less energy than a half full 65 quart because the compressor is smaller and will run less once all that mass is cool. Free space does not stay particularly cool. I would think for a family that 80 quarts will be a lot more than you need, although I could see the additional 20 or so quarts for 60ish quart fridge being better for 4 people or if you're gone longer. My plan would be to add a small, say ~20 quart, fridge for beverages and lunches should the need for more space beyond the MT45.