Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The MT45 is about 42 quarts if memory serves and this is big enough for up to about a week for us. The thing about sizing for a fridge is that you have to remember all the space is usable since there is no ice. So a 60 quart cooler will hold less food than a 45 quart fridge. Also with bigger fridges come more space, more battery drain, etc. Like with coolers, the more full the fridge is the better things stay cold, so a full 45 quarts will use less energy than a half full 65 quart because the compressor is smaller and will run less once all that mass is cool. Free space does not stay particularly cool. I would think for a family that 80 quarts will be a lot more than you need, although I could see the additional 20 or so quarts for 60ish quart fridge being better for 4 people or if you're gone longer. My plan would be to add a small, say ~20 quart, fridge for beverages and lunches should the need for more space beyond the MT45.

Ya what he said! my 24 quart Engel has been a good size! I think it might end up in the 40 and I'll spend the bucks and get a two chamber for the 80 at in the future. Having Ice cream bars and milk for Latte's just seems smart!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Dave Edit: and thanks UB

Makes a lot of sense and the 63Qt may be about perfect for the family then. Obviously it would be overkill for me travelling alone but that rarely happens and this would mostly be used for the 3-4 day CM trips. Size wise it really isn't all that much bigger than the 43Qt...Of course maybe the smaller size would be better long term and more flexible when travelling light (not that that ever happens, just ask Matt about Rubicon last year )

Per EdgeStar's site:

FP430: Height: 20.8”; Width: 24.7”; Depth: 17.7”
FP630: Height: 20.7”; Width: 28.1”; Depth: 17.9”

Basically just a little wider is all...Still not convinced I "need" a fridge/freezer and that is a lot of , despite them being significantly less expensive than the Engels, ARBs, etc. I just can't seem to pass up a sale

Oh, and for those wondering the FP430 is available but out of stock until late July per Compact Appliance...They are expecting a shipment of 320 of them on 7/30.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bummer that they are now out of stock!! Hopefully I actually get mine!

Yeah, I was really hesitant to get a fridge, but after reaching into Chris' cooler and grabbing a nice cold coke on the way out of Beef Basin (day 4 of my trip) this CM I was sold. My cooler was full of water with a package of hot dogs open and floating around in it and nothing in it looked good or was even near cold.

The only thing that has kept me away has been the price, and after seeing this one for sale I just took the plunge. After talking to Chris and seeing his it sounds like these work well enough, and are at least half the price of some of the others. Free shipping was actually what sealed the deal for me.

I plan on putting it through it's paces when I get it. I have a deep cycle battery in the 60 so I was just going to let it sit in the driveway and run for a few days to watch the battery drop. hopefully it will go for a while, I think it will.
82 FJ40
Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks like they replaced the Edgstar 42 QT with the ATC brand...

http://www.compactappliance.com/BDC4...ble%20Freezers

BDC40NL - ATC Home 45 Quart Portable Fridge / Freezer

View Larger
Color:
Grey
Add A Warranty?
Select Optional Extended Warranty No Extended Warranty ($0.00) 2 Year Extended Warranty ($39.00) 3 Year Extended Warranty ($59.00) 5 Year Extended Warranty ($89.00) Product Sales & SpecialsSave 15% Off Through Wednesday!

Free Shipping This Week Only
List Price: $699.00 Our Price: $599.00 15% Off $89.85 Sale Price: $509.15 (27% Savings: $189.85)Shipping: FREE Total: $509.15
Qty
Add to Wishlist In Stock: Usually Ships

It is exactly the same unit. Just 50.00 more then they had the Edgestar 42qt.

I would call them and ask. They have a high rated customer service and are very helpful.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 07-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
Looks like they replaced the Edgstar 42 QT with the ATC brand...

I would call them and ask. They have a high rated customer service and are very helpful.
Hmmm...According to the person I chatted with (Patrick T) via their online "chat" dealyo they are getting in 320 more of the 43Qt EdgeStar units toward the end of July. I specifically asked if the 43Qt model had been discontinued and he said (typed) no...He said they are extremely popular and they have a hard time keeping them in stock.

We'll see...The has given tentative approval at that price point to dump the cooler and join the fridge / freezer posse
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I would go with the bigger one. I've got a 45 qt Engel and while it works great I always have it filled to the top, even for short trips. It can be a pain to dig past the cheese & grapes & yogurts & tortillas to get down to the bottles below... and I end up spending a lot of time removing then replacing items on top just to find something buried at the bottom.

Groucho has a seriously huge fridge, and I'm becoming more and more jealous of the usefullness of it. I wouldn't worry about the battery drain from a larger fridge, once the truck is running it's more or less free energy anyway. And while it's off that's why you have 2 batteries and real time voltage display... you can still leave it parked for a couple of days, no prob. And to fill that extra space just toss in more waters, or other bottled goodies. Only downside is the weight, IMO, and that only matters if you plan on taking the fridge out.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I wouldn't worry about the battery drain from a larger fridge, once the truck is running it's more or less free energy anyway.
I leave mine running all the time, either plugged into the wall or in the back of the truck. It's always got something in it, never know when you'll be called upon to supply a cold barley pop. But it's rarely more than half a case of PBR or Miller High Life cans, so total mass is sorta small and there is a lot of empty air. A couple of times after weekends (particularly 3 day holiday ones) my truck has started really slow. So battery drain I think is worth considering in a secondary way at least. Although having a second battery does more or less negate the dead starting battery issue, but I'm starting to think that I'm the only person in the world who doesn't have all that fancy sh!t.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Mine is on 24/7/365. With the group 31 it will last 5 days on fridge and 3 days as a freezer without the truck running. One problem with the gp31 is it does take a while to charge back up so start and stop daily driving will not let it peak. If my smart batt meter shows the second batt is getting weak I will put the trickle charger on it over night and I'm good for months again! A hour or longer road trip will always do the trick also!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Mine is on 24/7/365. With the group 31 it will last 5 days on fridge and 3 days as a freezer.
Does your truck get parked inside a garage? I was cutting the grass Saturday and my Engel is pretty much running 50% duty sitting in front of the house (it's gets parked on the street) in the sun. I have a transit bag on it and started putting a sunshade on its sides to see if it runs less. So 3 days on my group 31 is with it running a whole heck of a lot.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Does your truck get parked inside a garage? I was cutting the grass Saturday and my Engel is pretty much running 50% duty sitting in front of the house (it's gets parked on the street) in the sun. I have a transit bag on it and started putting a sunshade on its sides to see if it runs less. So 3 days on my group 31 is with it running a whole heck of a lot.

It does sit in the sun and I don't have a transit bag but my rear windows are tinted pretty dark with very reflective 3m tint. How long is your commute? You might not be peaking the battery charge.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior