Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
It does sit in the sun and I don't have a transit bag but my rear windows are tinted pretty dark with very reflective 3m tint. How long is your commute? You might not be peaking the battery charge.
I am totally undercharging, I know that. Although once a week I do typically have a long drive to Jeffco that gets in 30 miles or more. Normally I do 14 miles and the afternoon one is slow. I do throw it on a trickle charger usually every other weekend now, but I've probably already eaten up a lot life my battery's life. Not to mention it's a Red Top, which hate trickle discharges anyway.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Commander

UB, you're going to really like the real time voltage feedback, just sayin'

short story: My garage is hot, like 85 average right now. Last week I shopped for the Ham Radio camping trip on Tuesday after work, loaded all our food into the fridge and turned it on, set to 1.5. I had 12.5 volts at that time. Wednesday morning, it was down to 12.1 volts. By Wednesday after work, 11.7 volts. Thursday morning, 11.39.. but I was still able to start the truck however it was a slow crank. Yes I could have flipped a toggle switch to jump myself but didn't want to.. was curious how the truck would start.

The 15 minute drive to work got the battery back up to right around 12 volts, but by lunch it was down to 11.73 again. Drove for about 30 minutes at lunch, and got it up to over 12, but again it was under 12 by the time I went home, then just over 12 when I got home. I then parked it outside, hooked up to the camper, so it could sit in the hot sun all day. Friday night after work I jumped in the 80 and saw about 11.5 volts, and again it was a slow crank but it started. Drove 1.5 hours to Guanella pass, and voltage was back up to 13.11 where I'm used to seeing it, in the 12.9-13.1 range just after the truck stops, and in the 12.5 range when the truck's been sitting for a while. That's how it is still today... though I unloaded all the junk from the fridge on Sunday and shut it off, since I don't drive the 80 every day I usually don't leave the fridge on.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think the 60+ quart is just too big and unnecessary. The 43/45/50 has served my family of 4 just fine on week-long trips, without being excessively huge and bulky. Space seems to be more and more critical with multiple kids and all the extra gear. You can't solve the top layer/bottom layer problem unless you get multiple small fridges, but a nice way to "help" is to buy/make a slide for it so that you can get into the fridge easier.

I suppose if you wanted to load the fridge with a full 24 pack of beer, a bottle of chardonnay, and juice boxes (plus food) for a week the 60 qt might be a winner, but I don't mind rotating beverages and the cool-down process is very fast.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I suppose if you wanted to load the fridge with a full 24 pack of beer, a bottle of chardonnay, and juice boxes (plus food) for a week the 60 qt might be a winner, but I don't mind rotating beverages and the cool-down process is very fast.
This was the biggest mental hurdle, that you don't need to load 2 cases of Coke and beer at a time. If you are driving a lot in particular you just need to load up enough for the next day or two. Maybe less for beer since I try not to let cold beer warm and than re-cool, that tends to skunk. But Coke, Naglenes of water, etc., I just put in a few at a time.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Commander

That's definitely my problem and it is a huge mental hurdle, coming from years of filling coolers with suitcases of cheap beer then ice & food on top. Once I get all the drinks in there there's barely enough room for a jar of 505 salsa... and yeah allowing the beer to get warm then make it cold again just doesn't sit right, and resorting to drinking a warm one, buying more in Utah, or just having less doesn't seem acceptable, I feel like I'm too old for that.. I want a bigger fridge.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's definitely my problem and it is a huge mental hurdle, coming from years of filling coolers with suitcases of cheap beer then ice & food on top. Once I get all the drinks in there there's barely enough room for a jar of 505 salsa... and yeah allowing the beer to get warm then make it cold again just doesn't sit right, and resorting to drinking a warm one, buying more in Utah, or just having less doesn't seem acceptable, I feel like I'm too old for that.. I want a bigger fridge.
Beauty of the freeze part is that you can dial that sucker down to 5 and keep 42 quarts of ice cubes, which get transferred to your overloaded cooler...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
UB, you're going to really like the real time voltage feedback, just sayin'

short story: My garage is hot, like 85 average right now. Last week I shopped for the Ham Radio camping trip on Tuesday after work, loaded all our food into the fridge and turned it on, set to 1.5. I had 12.5 volts at that time. Wednesday morning, it was down to 12.1 volts. By Wednesday after work, 11.7 volts. Thursday morning, 11.39.. but I was still able to start the truck however it was a slow crank. Yes I could have flipped a toggle switch to jump myself but didn't want to.. was curious how the truck would start.

The 15 minute drive to work got the battery back up to right around 12 volts, but by lunch it was down to 11.73 again. Drove for about 30 minutes at lunch, and got it up to over 12, but again it was under 12 by the time I went home, then just over 12 when I got home. I then parked it outside, hooked up to the camper, so it could sit in the hot sun all day. Friday night after work I jumped in the 80 and saw about 11.5 volts, and again it was a slow crank but it started. Drove 1.5 hours to Guanella pass, and voltage was back up to 13.11 where I'm used to seeing it, in the 12.9-13.1 range just after the truck stops, and in the 12.5 range when the truck's been sitting for a while. That's how it is still today... though I unloaded all the junk from the fridge on Sunday and shut it off, since I don't drive the 80 every day I usually don't leave the fridge on.
Why do I read into your post that the fridge is on your main battery? If thats the case what is your second battery for?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Why do I read into your post that the fridge is on your main battery? If thats the case what is your second battery for?
100% backup. Or switch to both during winching for more amps.. but the idea is run the main one as dead as you want, then flip the switch and always get home.

edit: it's a Hellroaring, thing, you wouldn't understand..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

That's it if the Ham license was not enough indication, I am a confirmed nerd.

Why? Because I specifially hopped in here, not to read epic stories of trails driven but to read every word in this thread...I find it entriguing to here all the perspectives and ponder my own refigerator experiences..

Yep I am a nerd.

I too had to change my habits of overloading sodas in the frige..They cool down so fast I can place a few in and 30 mins later they are ready to go...

Smaller is better, in this instance, IMHO...haha
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Chris I just admitted to logging battery voltage over a three-day period, you're in good company man!

www.gamiviti.com