Rising Sun Member

Default 08/10/08 Red Cone Pictures

Have look-see.

http://picasaweb.google.com/marco.ca...oneRadicalHill
82 FJ40
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice pics marco, great meeting you.

Wow, what a super fun trail! I was expecting a fire road. The features were really fun.

Ken thanks for leading!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 PM

It was nice to meet everyone today. Thanks to Shorty, I was able to take 361 pictures! I went through them and deleted the blurry ones. My camera takes 3 pictures a second, so I recommend you get your favorite beverage and watch a slide show! Shorty and I got caught in traffic on I-70 so we stopped in Downieville and got a bite to eat. I didn't make it home till 7:30!
Here are the links to the pictures I took.

Red Cone

Radical Hill

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

It was a great way to spend a day!! The weather cooperated and we had a good sized group of 13 rigs. Shorty did great gunning, thanks for volunteering. Great group of folks as well and the Romer's had a lot of fun.

That view from the top of Red Cone is one of the reasons I like to wheel.

We were off the trail by mid afternoon and also got caught in the I-70 traffic. Got off at Georgetown and took the frontage road to Idaho Springs and got back on where it starts picking up. made it home by 5.

It was cool as we were coming up the backside of Red Cone, I could Chat with Dan R. and BVB in Frisco coming off the other run.

I forgot my camera and so I don't have any pictures to post.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Great run! I had a blast - even got to use my lockers a couple of times because I picked some goofy lines. I guess if you don't learn anything you aren't trying hard enough! The wet rocks did make it more exciting.

Thanks for leading this run Ken. And thanks for gunning Shorty. You guys made it go quite smoothly.

It was good to see such a variety of rigs do this run - a 40, a 60, a couple of FJ Cruisers, the 80s (including the stock one with running boards, street tires and no lockers!) and those pesky 4Runners. I was really impressed with Scott's (Jaderunner's) 4Runner.

The only downside was the I70 traffic - it was quite annoying. But it wasn't bad enough to wipe the big wheelin grin off!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Rising Sun member

Why did you guys come back on I-70? Did you not come back Webster Pass to 285 from Red Cone?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Romer for leading us up and over Red Cone, and Shorty for gunning.. It was a great drive! Also thanks to Jaderunner for leading us, and Shorty for gunning again up Radical Hill, it was a great addition to Red Cone! I'm glad I got an opportunity to run that with you guys. It was great to be able to get up there and explore some of those roads since i'd never been in that area.

Even though there was traffic on 70, I made it home in a few hours from Montezuma via frontage road (thanks again for the lead there Scott!). It wasn't tooo bad.. and since part of the group ran Radical Hill before dropping down it kinda made sense to just pop out onto 70 instead of going back to 285.
82 FJ40
Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

The kids and I had a good time. Thanks for leading Romer. Romer’s very through as a leader. I took half the group over Radical Hill and over Glacier Ridge and down Saint Johns. We also hit I70 traffic and took the service road down from Georgetown to Idaho Springs which saved some time. Got home about 5:30. The kids wore me out, and they were beat. But the wife had a wonderful day off was so everyone was happy. Not bad - might have to do that again.

We had an incident with some motorcycles going off road to pass us on glacier ridge on the timberline. The first guy flew around us on the side of the road but not too bad I guess. Then Shorty radios us from the rear asking me to tell them to stay on the trail. Evidentially they went way off the road to pass them. So I told the first guy who was waiting for them to stay on the road. He looked at my with a blank and puzzled look. Then the other two guys come up and I tell them to stay of the trail. Same response. Then he does a large burn out and tries to spray my truck with rocks. I yell back at him as he is leaving and the last guy stops and seems quite puzzled in what to do. They have full helmets on and no plates so they is no way to identify them unless I tracked them down at their truck.

We had similar issues with atv’s and bikes passing us earlier also. We would wait for a spot to pull off a little so there was enough room for them to pass us on the road then they would just scream around us on the timberline or off-trail instead of slowly squeezing by. I’m not sure, but I have to conclude that for the most part they are ignorant as to the importance of staying on the trail and don’t really understand. Perhaps they will if more people continue to speak up on the trail to let them know.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Thanks Ken and Shorty!

Thanks to Ken and Shorty and Scott for the great run. No damage and safety first - Good leadership!
Here a couple of pics of the folks. I figure you are all better photographers than I so I left the scenery to the others in the group. Thanks again, Terry
Attached Images

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Why did you guys come back on I-70? Did you not come back Webster Pass to 285 from Red Cone?
Radical Hill, then into Keystone. Makes for an exceptional day.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.