Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Wheeler Lake trip

The day started of nice enough, some sun and about 85. I could not make the rally so I started my way up 285 around 2:15. about 20 minutes into the trip the clouds turned gray and a bit of rain started to fall. This was only the beginning, the doors went on the the top was snapped down.

We all met up at Montgomery Reservoir where we aired down. Dan, Bill and Corbet were already there waiting for me. When we started up the trail the skies were still gray but no rain anymore. The trail was still wet from the rain before and large puddles had formed. Most of the obstacles were easy enough to drive over and or take a little gander at except for the V notch.

Dan was the first to go up the notch with Bills guidance, as you can see by the pictures he did a beautifully wheel stand, even had to hold on to his grab bar. Next it was my turn and I decided to start on the left side and then go down the middle section and back up the right side of the V notch. Not the brightest of things to do but it was fun.

Some folks in a Rubicon had stopped and were watching us, they were thoroughly entertained. Once I got straitened out I came out of the notch with a nice wheel stand too. I hope Dan and Corbet have some shots of me.

Next Bill went up the notch but after several tries had to back down and go up the middle, traction was hard to come by with the wet ground. Corbet took the same line and came up like a pro.

A little later Corbet had to stop and repair his exhaust, not having a lift he was dragging some big rocks. Later on Corbet would find a ledge to rest his suspension on. A little tug from Dan and we were on our way. BTW the tow strap was a virgin.

We made it up to the lake right around 6:30 and the rain was right on our tails. Dan and Bill knew it and parked their rigs next to each to erect a shelter. Corbet brought one too so within minutes we had two rain shelter, a porty potty, and Dan's fajitas of the motor. We also had some wood, sure slowed my 22RE down on the hills. Corbet had the fire going in no time, let the fun begin. We talked around the fire as the rain allowed and enjoyed some adult beverages. Corbet had to leave early in the morning so we called it a night around 11:30 or so.

The next morning Corbet was ready and gone before I finished my first Pepsi, he had an open house to hold. We had some breakfast and took the poles to the lake, Bill was the only lucky one but I still enjoyed it all.

We made our way down the hill where we ran into a group of guys trying to make it up the Notch. There was a J**p stuck on the top of the notch with no where to go. Out came Bill's Virgin winch and out came the J**p.

We aired up again at Montgomery res. and went our ways down the hill. Rain followed me all the way till Morrison so the soft top stayed on. All in all it was a great trip, camera battery died half way through so only day one pics. Hopefully Dan and Corbet will post some up here too.

We did have some things come up but that is for the Members only forum.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

A few morre I took before the battery went dead.
Attached Images

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Last ones from me...........
Attached Images

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great trip report Tom!! Hope everyone had a good time. I only took a few pictures.
Attached Images

71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Yea, thanks for the report and pictures. Looks like good fun.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Dan, I thought it was a little long but oh well.

Can you send me the full size copies of your pictures please? I want to see if I can add dome to my collage. Please send them to buffethat at comcast dot net I think it may be in my profile too.

Also Dan, are yo going to post our "special" pictures in the members only forum?

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Lifted

dangit, I so wish I could have gone. My last name is Wheeler and I haven't even seen the lake named after me? :P
Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have not had access to a computer until today. So I'll add a few pictures to the report too.

Had a great time. My stock junk suffered a flat tire (the spare ) and my exhaust which finally separated after repeated rock hits that started with CM08 this spring.

Flat ended up just being a broken valve stem, and I got my exhaust welded back together locally the other day. So in the end my damage was minimal.

Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

few more

Sorry about that last one. For some reason it loads onto the forum rotated 90 degrees every time? Its upright on my hard drive? But Tom said he wanted to see his wheel stand.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Corbet
Starting to look like a Three Wheel Ben party
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008