Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 1st Gen 4Runners...thoughts?

I am confused these days...I have a strange itch to buy another Toyota, even though I have no use at all for one when my FJ60 is a real beauty and I still don't have much time to drive it. I am looking at some trail beaters, and have found some cool trucks as a result. This brings me to my next question:

What do you guys think about the 1st gen 4Runners? I really like the 85 ones with the SFA and fuel-injected 22RE. As a Land Cruiser guy, is a 4Runner a "step down" from an FJ40, 55, or 60? Are these built as stout as a LC? I have always thought that the fact you can drop the top on these is fantastic, and the look is very classic Toyota 1980s to me.

I know the ones from the early 90s had head gasket problems on the V6. What about the 22RE? Is this an engine that is as bulletproof as a 2F?

Carson
'00 UZJ100
Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

My daughter's first car was an 85 runner. Auto tranny, about 450k miles. 22RE is a good motor, but I found the timing chain service somewhat of a PITA. Changing the alternator is a PITA compared to Land Cruisers, and the starter is harder to get to. If the P/S pumps leaks, it leaks right onto the alternator, making it fail in short order. The rear window has about 200 bazillion interlocks and any one of them not working will prevent the window from rolling down.

By most accounts, the 85 is the best year for a stocker, last year of solid front axle, first year of FI. Multiport FI at that, I found out, not yer basic throttle body. Front and rear diffs are the smaller 8", but axles, birfs and driveshafts are Land Cruiser sized.

As far as a "step down", well that depends on your perspective. Personally, I like cruisers better, but runners are cool too.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

They are good trucks.

They have their own set of quirks, and character.

The plus they have over cruisers is they are easier on gas, and cheap to get into. You can pick them up from the 500-2000 range, and you'll get 15-20 mpg on a decently running motor. They are gutless stock. You can modify them to have some 'get up and go'. Parts are cheap, and the junk yards have a lot of them. Easier to get parts than older cruisers.

Downside? Rust. Very poor body construction. The back fenders were spot welded and sealed with body sealant. After 10 years, that sealant degraded, and water gets up there. You can get fiberglass 1/4s for cheap to fix this issue.

Step up or down? Personal opinion. I think they are a step up, but I'm a 4runner guy.

Its a Toyota, so its cool.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Good information...thanks, guys.
'00 UZJ100
Old 08-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I own an FJ40, FJ80 and a 4runner. The 4runner is awsome offroad because it is Light and nimble. with a dual Marlin it also has something like a 210:1 crawl ratio.

It is different than the 40 in that the 40 is a tank that can thrash through most anything. The straight six is hard to kill.
With the runner it is more finese driving, as they are nimble, light and flexy. The longer wheel base really help them shine on certain trails. It also helps "baja'ing" down the trail.

I recently saw the 4Runner's do awsome on the Rubicon where others rigs had to really work. It was said the Rubicon is perfect for 4runners and mini trucks because of there wheel, and how thin they are.

If you want to know if they are good wheelers, follow Cheeseman on a few trail runs and you will be sold on them.

I love all 3 rigs and ech shine in different areas, but my runner does better in Moab than my 40, because of the longer wheelbase, and it does not beat me up to drive it out there..... Slow on the passes (22re is awsome but gutless on the passes), but easier on the pocket book as well.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

1st gen 4Runners? Naw, stay away. I hate 'em. Total junk, tin cans and they fall apart, and you can't make them look like new, ever. Can't make the 22RE pull harder, and if you want even more, motor swaps are impossible. Weak drive train. Parts are different from year to year and you can't swap other minitruck parts to get what you need. Regearing is way harder than a cruiser or Dana axle to do, and transfer case options don't exist. Hard to work on, don't even try a 22RE overhaul, its too hard and aftermarket overhaul kits don't exist and are poor quality if they do. And expensive? Whew. Who can afford it. Can't wheel worth crap either once you've built it up. Lousy mileage on top of it all.

Wait, what?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

(BTW, '85s are hard to get in good condition, and frankly it is just as expensive to make an 85 trail worthy as it is to SAS an 86-89 4Runner. So don't let that hold you back.)
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Trail Ready

Here is my take.

I daily drove and wheeled an FJ60 for 7 years or so. Last fall I bought an 86 4runner to replace my aged wagon.

The 4 runner is a sports car compared to the cruiser. It is a really nice size. Big enough, but way smaller than my wagon. The 4runners came with way more options that the cruisers did. Parts are cheap and plentiful. Modifications are cheap and plentiful.

I do miss my wagon sometimes. I don't miss the gas mileage or the parts cost though.
http://www.coloradolandcruisers.org

86 4runner
Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
1st gen 4Runners? Naw, stay away. I hate 'em. Total junk, tin cans and they fall apart, and you can't make them look like new, ever. Can't make the 22RE pull harder, and if you want even more, motor swaps are impossible. Weak drive train. Parts are different from year to year and you can't swap other minitruck parts to get what you need. Regearing is way harder than a cruiser or Dana axle to do, and transfer case options don't exist. Hard to work on, don't even try a 22RE overhaul, its too hard and aftermarket overhaul kits don't exist and are poor quality if they do. And expensive? Whew. Who can afford it. Can't wheel worth crap either once you've built it up. Lousy mileage on top of it all.
That should be a quote!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

The part about the 85's that bill brought up is a good point.

You will likely want to redo the front hangars, put on highsteer, and rework the rear suspension. It costs as much as a SAS on an IFS truck.

Stock minitruck SA steering is horrid.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead