Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
That should be a quote!
If you figure out how to turn it upside down, if you take my meaning.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
The part about the 85's that bill brought up is a good point.

You will likely want to redo the front hangars, put on highsteer, and rework the rear suspension. It costs as much as a SAS on an IFS truck.

Stock minitruck SA steering is horrid.
It can be fixed, and reliably, but this involves changing the steering box to an IFS unit, and modifying the frame to accept it. And OBTW you want an IFS rear axle for the track width. So you see where the money goes... the SA truck does give you a frame capable of more up travel though. Not huge, but something.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is interesting stuff; you just don't seem to hear as much about mini truck these days, and I had no idea.
'00 UZJ100
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Rising Sun member

If you ask on this forum, Bill, Isaac and Dave will give you pretty much all you need to know about minitrucks! I learn things I didn't really want to know about them just from being around those guys! But I will say I love my little red truck as a DD, and though it doesn't share the extra gearbox and axle shafts as its 4x4 brethren, the 22RE, in all its bulletproof wonder, has me impressed almost every day.

The alternator is a serious PITA, on my truck I don't know of a way to do it without removing the distributor and power steering pump, and the p/s pump has six bolts on two axes that you have to get threaded, and two of them you can't see.

IMO, once you've done the timing chain once it's not so bad after that. The head gasket, though, I would probably never do again myself.

I would definitely spring for a '86-'97 4runner or pickup/Tacoma with a 4cyl and 5 spd manual in a second if only I wasn't so hung up on getting a diesel Land Cruiser. The Land Cruiser just has more appeal to me. But I love my pickup, I love my sister's '97 Taco 4x4, I'm jealous of my friend who bought a '99 Taco 4cyl with the TRD package. Toyotas are just intuitive to me.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Rock Stacker

alternator was easy, just go in from the bottom. You have to drain the radiator and remove the lower hose and then you can just work away in there... Takes me about an hour and a half.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Rock Stacker

and I am a crappy mechanic...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
alternator was easy, just go in from the bottom. You have to drain the radiator and remove the lower hose and then you can just work away in there... Takes me about an hour and a half.
The manual says you have to do that, but I figured out a way you don't have to. You do have to unfasten the fan shroud and cut it (fix the cut with duct tape - it works), but you don't have to remove the lower radiator hose using that method. It's still a PITA, but more like 45 minutes instead of 1.5 hours plus coolant. The 22RE was certainly a learning experience for my daughter and I compared to Land Cruisers though. She's a good wrench too; when we rebuilt her rear differential all I had to do was hand her tools and offer advice :-)
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
She's a good wrench too; when we rebuilt her rear differential all I had to do was hand her tools and offer advice :-)
Sweet! Woman who wrench are awesome! So...how old is she and what's she do now? Just kidding...kinda!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
Sweet! Woman who wrench are awesome! So...how old is she and what's she do now? Just kidding...kinda!
She's 24 and works at Outback Steakhouse near SW Plaza. Unfortunately she drives a Sebering now :-(
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
She's 24 and works at Outback Steakhouse near SW Plaza. Unfortunately she drives a Sebering now :-(
That's just sad... Did you cry when she stopped driving Toyota's?

And do you want to have a M&G at her work...next time she is working??