Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Rock Stacker

I love my 1st gen 4Runner! Depends on what you like to do with your rig but for the $$$ invested, mine does pretty well on the toughest stuff CO has to offer.

It's streetable (just barely - 40's and a fresh 22RE swap barely keep up with traffic on a flat highway ) but I do end up towing it 95% of the time.

Like everyone else has said, parts are cheap, easy to work on, tons of vendors to choose from, etc....
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
If it runs reasonably well and the price is fair, I wouldn't worry much. Having a 2-door 2nd gen 4Runner would be cool alone. So what if the engine goes, put in a 3.4L and have a super cool truck. If the engine is original with 186K and has had the HG recall done, it's probably good for a while more.
What he said. If that body style grabs you and you can get it for cheap. Likely good for a while.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Note to self: Watch Volcom with great enjoyment.

Do not follow him under any circumstances.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Note to self: Watch Volcom with great enjoyment.

Do not follow him under any circumstances.
Ha! That is funny.

I really do like the 2-door. I've only seen a few of them around, and this might be kinda cool. I'm going to talk to this guy and see if we can work a deal.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

I say go for it, you ca always fix/swap the motor down the road. I had the V6 in my 91 and hammered the thing for 112K when I sold it, never a problem. The two is cool and rare to find, if it is clean and rust free it is a great rig to use as a platform for future mods. The sky is the limit as long as the budget is there.

The motor is weak and mileage stinks but if it is a weekend toy?????????then it does not matter. Open the air intake and some headers/exhaust and you gained some power.

Go buy it and post some pics already!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
Hmmmm.

I just found a perfect condition 1990 2nd gen 2-door (rare) with a new head gasket, water pump, and timing belt replaced with 186,000 miles, no rust, and good maintenance history. Such a clean rig and runs great...but I am nervous about this motor from what I hear here. It is cool because it's so unusual, but...

BUY IT!!!! I've got 225K on my 3.0, with a rebuild 75K (and 10 years) ago. Just changed the timing belt and it's a bit of a pain, but not terrible. I wouldn't bother replacing the headgaskets if they go, though. As everyone else has said, that's what 3.4's are for.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com