Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Kokopelli Trail run at end of March?

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone is interested in coming along but I am planning a Kokopelli Trail run in late March 09.

I know it is kind of early to think about but I have the hall pass locked, so I am looking for dates that do not conflict with any RS events, etc..

Matt/Subzali are there any scheduled RS events the last week of March?

I haven't done this yet and want to check it off the list of to do's before I venture on to other trails in that area.

I think Robbie and the TTT folks did this trail about the same time this year?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I kinda like doing it on two wheels (cuz I like that, and cuz otherwise it is LOOOOOONG). Tends to be supa easy, but very scenic. There is some singletrack that greatly adds to the challenge and interest. You starting in Rabbit Valley?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yep Fruita, right?. I may be bringing my mtn bike also and splitting driving time with a buddy.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

I did it end-to-end on mountain bike in 2007. Fun trip, particularly since we had vehicle SAG to carry stuff and provide lunch stops each day. Start point was the Loma exit trailhead and finished in Moab. Camps were at Westwater and Fisher Valley, support stops were Rabbit Valley, Yellowjacket Canyon and Castle Valley. This was the second week of May and it was definitely none too cold, that's for sure. March may be hit or miss from Fisher Valley over to Porcupine depending on how much snow the La Sals get, that's the only variable. If you have space to carry a tent and pack for me, I'd love to pedal along with ya. Our trip was 3 full days and that was a comfortable, slightly slower than race pace for me.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, this was one of the topics I was thinking of bringing up over our potential happy our beer.

I will have room to carry your gear, no worries.

I have a bunch of mtn bike buddies that may want the same sherpa benefits.

I would like to drive and ride certain sections. Not totally sure how that will all shake out.

I have a buddy that just had hip surgery this spring and he may not want to ride but would be someon I trust driving the FJ. So if he can make I can ride a bunch of sections also.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just FWIW, doing it from Fruita to Moab is about 140 miles and roughly 6,500 feet of climbing. It's not a death march by any stretch (unless done in one day), but certainly more than doable by a relatively fit cyclist. Also depends on the number of days. Two days will be two all day rides, three days gives you a chance to watch sunsets with a beer. Four days would allow for camp fires, very late nights and beer.

Driving wise, the only spot I would feel uncomfortable letting someone drive my truck who is not familiar with it would be the Rose Garden not long before Fisher Valley. Nothing harder than what we saw on the Rubicon (in fact it's pretty tame compared to the 'Con), but could be a pucker for someone not comfortable driving off road since it's loose.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I kinda like doing it on two wheels (cuz I like that, and cuz otherwise it is LOOOOOONG). Tends to be supa easy, but very scenic. There is some singletrack that greatly adds to the challenge and interest. You starting in Rabbit Valley?
Guess I should have clarified... two wheels with 650cc and 50hp... knees couldn't handle biopropulsion.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Guess I should have clarified... two wheels with 650cc and 50hp... knees couldn't handle biopropulsion.
I've never personally ever ridden a motorcycle, but Kokopelli did strike me like it would be a fun trail to ride with the help of Mr. Combustion Cycle. It would be super laid back overnight I bet on a dirt bike.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill motorcycles are welcome to join.....

I will most likely want to drive the Rose Garden section.

I pinged my mountain biker buddies and they are all geeked up for it, sounds like it is on.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

The whole thing is one day on a motorcycle. I could do it three or four times in the time it takes a bike! Need gas drops though.

We usually run it around St. Paddy's in March. With a group, we do Rabbit Valley to Big Bend or so, and forgo the part after Rose Garden. It's iffy mid-March anyway. Kinda boring when it's not iffy.

Leaves more time for frolicking in camp anywho.
KDěRCH
Bio Page