Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Anyone ever have this happen??

Friday I had Discount Tire rotate and balance the Toyos...

Drove from the store to home (~3 miles at 45mph or less) and I didn't notice any noise or issues. Of course it was raining hard so the windows were up and there was a lot of road noise from the water etc.

Saturday evening, while driving over to the folks place (~5 miles at 45 mph or less) I hear what sounds like the wear indicator "squeal" on brake pads, only it is constant. WTF I wonder? Sound definitely increases with speed. With the windows up I couldn't hear the noise at anything below about 30mph. Touching the brakes makes no noticeable difference in the sound. Applying some parking brake makes no noticeable difference either. Still raining out and it is pretty dark so I can't really investigate too much.

Driving home Sunday morning (after forgetting all about any trivial noise), the rain has stopped so I put the windows down and now I can really hear the noise. Hard to discern which side it is coming from but sounds like it is the rear. I get home and start looking around and notice what you see below in the pictures on the PS rear tire . I first noticed the scoring and then saw what was causing it. WTF I wonder? How in the heck could that have happened? Best I can tell, the person putting the wheel back on caught the brake retainer (I guess that is what it is called) and bent it outward so it was touching the rim?? I can't think of anyway else this could happen. I drove through a partially flooded out section on County Line Road on the way home from the store on Friday doing maybe 20 mph but no way water coming up past the brakes could bend the metal like that could it? I've got through water must faster than I did on Friday...

Anyway, I got the retainer bent back into shape but the next time I service the rear brakes I'll probably replace the piece. Once that was done no more noise of course .

Not sure what I should do. Obviously not a huge deal other than the nice scoring I have in my wheel now . Should I raise a stink with Discount? Worry about rust starting? Ask them find me a replacement wheel? Ignore it and move on??

Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff, I pick my battles to fight and this is probably one I would just let go. The piece was probably slightly bent up already by someone trying to check the thickness of the brake pads (not the right way to do it, but I have seen it) . If it was seated 100 % there is no way the wheel could have caught it and bend it back. Unless the groove in the wheel is really deep I would not sweat it.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am with slee on this one. I used to manage several goodyear stores. Most of the time, as a gm/owner, you would appreciate it if people would bring this to your attention without being pissy. Meaning, "no harm, no foul, but I thought you should know" that way the tech learns something... again, pick the battle, meaning just letting them know without asking for a thing goes real far...

john (johnny) henley
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Most of the time, as a gm/owner, you would appreciate it if people would bring this to your attention without being pissy.
I wouldn't let it go completely, but being pissy isn't going to solve anything. I might go back in and point it out while it's fresh. Approach it maybe from a "I noticed it and just wanted to make sure no weights were knocked off." Or something like that. No sense in demanding this or that, it happens. It's a delicate balance, holding people responsible for things and just being a pain in the ass. But the manager probably should know, just like cross threaded or mistorqued studs.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the response guys

The groove is maybe an 1/8 to 1/4" deep so not a huge issue as long as I shouldn't have any long term worries like rust

Definitely something I plan to bring to there attention but as you say in the scheme of things it is a relatively small issue...I think Christo is right that the retainer must have already been at least slightly bent because otherwise there should not have been anyway to catch it and bend it like that. I've personally never taken either rear wheel off but I looked at the other side and the retainer is flush.

I looked at the pictures again after my post last night and you can see where it looks like the retainer caught on the rim (5 o'clock position in the last picture above) when the tech was putting the wheel back on. I've always had good service at Discount so hopefully they appreciate me bringing it to there attention as an FYI
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Thanks for the response guys

The groove is maybe an 1/8 to 1/4" deep so not a huge issue as long as I shouldn't have any long term worries like rust )

S.O.B

I had something similar happen to me.

I would bring it to their attention NICELY and see of they try to compensate you with free alignment or something.

NOW YOU KNOW WHY THEY DONT LET YOU WATCH THEM WORK
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post

The groove is maybe an 1/8 to 1/4" deep so not a huge issue as long as I shouldn't have any long term worries like rust
in the pics, your rims look aluminum?

i had discount over torque tires once and snap two of my lug studs
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Rock Stacker

how big are your tires? Think about how heavy they are and how easy it would be for one to 'get away' from a tech and rest on that piece. It happens. If you are really worried about it, go talk to the manager.

And yes, I am an Assistant Manager at Discount Tire.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

If the groove is a 1/4 inch deep it will compromise the strength of the rim. Now if it is very minor, like a 1/8, I would not worry too much. The rims are only about 5/8- 3/4 thick at the most. I would worry if it was 1/4 deep. If nothing else, switch it out to the spare.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
how big are your tires? Think about how heavy they are and how easy it would be for one to 'get away' from a tech and rest on that piece. It happens. If you are really worried about it, go talk to the manager.

And yes, I am an Assistant Manager at Discount Tire.
That was obviously not a "rim getting away" situation! That looks like a tech doing his job and doing a courtesy check on the brake wear but unfortunately he did it incorrectly!

I totally agree with Robbie.......if that groove is deep it has compromised the wheels strength by creating a shear line. If it is shallow then it's not much of a concern.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior