Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Wincher

Default Loss of Power FJ45

While heading to the Rally. We lost power and had to call it quits. I am thinking that the carb is in need of a rebuild. The plunger does not respond when the gas pedal is pushed in. It slows pushes into the carb. But we had added some fuel in and didn't get a spark either. The line may be clogged too. It does pump gas but nothing with any pressure. Any ideas? I am thinking of doing the carb rebuild. Maybe replacing the ignition coil and the fuel pump and checking the lines.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Easy shifter....one variable at a time. The accel pump, if that is what your are referring to is only needed if you jump on it and need a little extra fuel until the venturi can catch up. With the truck off, look down the carb and make sure your linkage is moving the throttle plates that are inside the base of the carb. Check the sight glass on the front of the carb and manually fill it if needed. That will confirm the fuel delivery is or is not working to the carb. Ifin I had to take a wild a$$ guess.....your choke was not adjusted and it got sucked closed cruising down I-25 and effectively closed off all the air to the engine.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Trail Ready

Your truck is toast but there is good news I will take it off your hands for cheap.
2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins
18 foot P&J flat bed
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

No spark = no run. Doesn't really require much pressure with a carb. As Root said look for fuel in the window on the front of the carb. should be about 1/2 full. If it just stoped suddenly I'd guess electrical. Check all wires having to do with the distributer. Coils slowly get less effecient not just stop working(I think) You should be able to run on LP if it were a petrol(fuel pump or cloged filter/line) problem anyway. Are you sure there's not a huge vaccume leak somewhere? or a wire dangling that should be connected? Not that a carb rebuild isn't a good idea but that may not be the answer or resolve your problems.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Wincher

Default Power Help

I will give those a shot. Thank you.

Don't want to sell it just yet.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Maybe you can get a clue from landcrusher909...he's on his way to your place with your parts before heading down to mine.

check all the connections at your distributer.

when you say "lost power", did the truck die, or it was running, just not pulling? did the engine die, but other electrical items were working?
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Wincher

Default Power issue

landcrusher didn't get to come to my place. To bad, I had a bunch of beer and stories.

Any way, the electrical worked but it just quit. Kind of like vapor lock. It sounded like it was wanting to turn over. I haven't had time yet to pull the carb apart yet. Going hunting for a while and will have to dive in when I get back.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Either the the electrical works or not. ?kind of like vapor lock? does that mean after you let it cool down it's good to go again? Pull out a spark plug, ground it on the block,Wear gloves and safety glasses and have someone turn the key and watch for a spark. Not a bad idea to have a fire extinguisher handy. That will tell you if you have a spark. Electrical and fuel are TWO entirely different problems. Sort of like, I ran out of gas on my way home so I installed a new optima battery. Narrow down your problem and we can help you, other wise we'll make fun of you. If you do end up rebuilding the carb I would suggest http://www.marksoffroad.net/