Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default FJ40 rear end advice needed

My 75 '40 has a 40 LC rear end with Dana 60 full floaters and an ARB. I had to fix some leaks a while ago and was a little zealous on the wheel bearing adjustment (I did not have a fish scale handy). I also did not put an adequate amount of gear oil in the thing.

I went for a test drive and ended up having to drive to Ft. Collins for a family emergency. As I pulled into the hospital the rear was "groaning." To exacerbate the issue I had to haul ass home from Ft. Collins to change cars while a helicopter took my daughter to Denver Children's hospital. I knew this was not good, and the rear end let me know it by really groaning as I pulled into the garage.

So, the wheel bearings are adjusted properly and the gear oil is full and I still can feel the rear end tighten up when warm (~1 mile drive). This is not the parking brake; I have already looked at this. Today, I took off the rear diff cover and inspected the ARB and gears in the rear. All looks well, but if I galled the carrier bearings I would not see it with just the cover off.

So, my questions:

1) I assume I should pull the axles and DS and remove the pumpkin. Agree?

2) Where should I take this thing for inspection? I can pull the carrier bearing caps but have not done this and will have to get some help so I think I should skip a step and bring someone the whole assembly.

3) Is there any of my RS friends that can provide some assistance. I have never rebuilt a rear-end so I am a bit out of my depth. Mechanically I understand how it works but don't want to experiment; I want it on the road.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff, sorry to hear about your day bro.

If I can help in anyway let me know, as for the rear diff... I am in new water as well. When you say groaning, is it metal on metal, gear noise (rythmic), or something else.

FWIW, I have an extra 3rd in my garage you could swap to stay mobile and work on the rear diff at a more convienent time.

Just let me know man.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 08-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

OK, third member removed and on its way to get fixed. I am very happy that I added this the compressor and ultra quiet impact gun to the shop. What a difference!!!
Attached Images