Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Rebuilding Seats in the 60

I want to get the front seats in my truck redone and I am looking for suggestions on upholstery folks around here that can do a decent job. I know both seats need new foam and matting, but I'll probably save the covers. Any Ideas? Any reason not to get aftermarket seat heaters and throw those in too while i'm at it? Specter Off Road sells the bottom seat foam, but none of the other components, otherwise i'd look at doing it myself...
82 FJ40
Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Rising Sun member

One thing I've been thinking about if I had a 60; I'd consider putting minitruck seats in that sucker. The ones in my little red truck are pretty comfy.

I know that's not what you asked - but hey I wanted to hijack your thread
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I want to get the front seats in my truck redone and I am looking for suggestions on upholstery folks around here that can do a decent job. I know both seats need new foam and matting, but I'll probably save the covers. Any Ideas? Any reason not to get aftermarket seat heaters and throw those in too while i'm at it? Specter Off Road sells the bottom seat foam, but none of the other components, otherwise i'd look at doing it myself...
I had been kicking this idea around for my 60 as well. I was thinking of getting the seat foam from SOR, then ordering the leather kit that Aatlas1x sells on IH8MUD:

FJ60 leather seat kit
KDGWM
Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

I always hear 60 owners saying how bad/uncomfortable their seats are, the PO of mine re-did the fronts using SOR foam and covers and I can drive all day in comfort.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

I want to re-do the seats that are in there to keep the stock look which I like.. replacing the seats with newer models is definitly the easiest route no doubt though. The leather looks tempting though... that combined with the seat foam from specter would net a pretty slick combo albeit expensive.

I think I may end up getting the foam from specter and finding somebody to go through them for me since they'd have the right tools and would be able to do stuff like replace the matting and possibly cut new foam or whatever it is in the seat back to get my lumbar support back.

My back starts to hurt after a few days of non-stop driving now and I am hoping i can fix that.
82 FJ40