Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the info guys, I am going Orange! I am leaving after this message to go to the Stihl shop on Broadway, been there since I came to the states.

I looked at the Husky 455 Rancher and compared it to the Stihl 310. Stihl has a little more power and other than that is just like Ford vs Chevy. I checked the boards all over and they all say both are good.............but make sure you have LOCAL support!!!

Murdocks sells the Husky for $395 and the Stihl shop sells the 310 for $410 so splitting peas. The big sell is the post support, actually my job , Murdochs has no locl support. They send the saw to WY for a three week turn around. Stihl is 15 miles from me and has parts in stock

So when I come back I will take a pic or two.

Corbet nice wood, but we use more. We used 3.5 cords of wood last year. Our utility bill went down about $50 to 70 a month That is the main reason I can't make the Holly Cross trip going up the 13th and 19/20th to get wood.

If anybody wants to borrow our splitter when we are done give me a call, 24 ton power unit Splits just about everything oh and it is a tow behind.

PS I will keep Earls in mind, mower and other stuff you know Thanks again guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Corbet nice wood, but we use more.
Only the first trailer full....
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Cheese

In the mid-level Stihls, the 270 and 280 are basically the same saw with a little more power out of the 280.

The 290/310/390 are the same saw weight and size wise, each with increasing power.

Good advice going to a place that can take care of you and wants to see you come back.

The 270/280 are more pleasant vibration wise than the others in the series. If you are not cutting a million trees for a million hours, any of these will do you right. I am a lumberjack, not a logger.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is longing for leaving..."

www.sleeoffroad.com
www.sonoransteel.com
Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I run a Stihl 290, also have an older 029 that was my dad's (same saw). Upgraded the bar and sprocket on the 029 so it takes the same chain as the 290, so now have essentially have two identical saws that both work great. I've been going to the Stihl dealer on North Federal, just up the hill past hwy 36 on the right. Been getting my chains sharpened for $8 at Broomfield Rental Center.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great to hear we made the right decision, we got a Stihl 310. Since I know the shop people somewhat and I know they have been there for years I feel good about the purchase. I got three chains for the price of two and some more discounts on all the stuff I bought.

Sorry I did not take a picture of it yet but I will this weekend. Going to fill up the 16' car trailer, should be about 2 cords of wood and then again the following weekend.

Nak, one of these days I will come over to cut some of your wood ;-)

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default a different chainsaw question

I'm interested in a cordless electric chainsaw. I know the gas powered ones are the "real" chainsaws but I want something more compact for some light trimming.

Anyone got one that they either love or hate? TIA
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't have one now but used to. Stihl sells them but are pricey, take a look at ACE or Murdoch's. I want to get one for the branches and other small stuff plus they are great for cutting trees down when you have to climb up in them. Nice and light and no need to pull a cord, that is a good thing when you are 60' up in the tree balanced on some limbs.

I guess it depends on how much you want to cut and how much you want to spend.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Lifted

To poke my head in on one of my favorite topics...

Since the Rancher 455 got brought up, it really is a pretty decent saw for the money. i used it for years without trouble doing firewood etc. around the house.

When i began using it more seriously (what developed into arborist work, forestry maintenance, trailbuilding and some logging) i quickly decided it wasn't built for that and upgraded.

I went with a Husqy 372xp, quickly upgraded with a 28" Oregon RW bar, and after about a year i had it woods ported by a guy out in california (Jashua who i hooked up with on on Arboristsite).

Even with the larger bar, it still weighs in about four pounds less than a 455 Rancher, and now its been used and abused around four years, at times very hard, it still runs better than the day i bought it!

yes, most would consider this a fairly large saw, but the long bar extends reach for pruning, saves your back since you don't bend over to cut and its big enough to make quick work of 90% of anything any normal person might do. so maybe in a perfect world i'd have a 346xp for small stuff, and a 395xp for big stuff, but its not so for me and many others, the 372 is about the perfect one saw quiver.

it also happens to be a pretty nice looking machine...

metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

I take back my Husky recommendation based on few dealers, who seem to be incompetent. Stihl dealers/parts/knowledge are everywhere. I wrote Husqvarna and they actually told me to order parts online from Jackssmallengines.com - or some such nonsense. The corporate letter was rude and condescending and they essentially told me not to bother them with my parts-finding difficulties. I iterally could not find a replacement fuel cap for my 55 Rancher and the dealer showed 3 part numbers and couldn't determine the validity of any of them. I love the Husky saw, but the company's business practices totally put me off. I have a Stihl trimmer, and after I broke in the engine, it's wonderful. I'm a Stihl man from here on out.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Lifted

Yeah, for whatever reason good husqvarna dealers are few and far between unless you really are in logging country. personally that wasn't a factor for me, i've always just ordered replacement parts from baileysonline.com the few times i've needed something. I DO like stihl chain way more betterer so i just pick that up at the nearest spot that will cut me a loop of square tooth full skip. Its nice that Jax stocks that stuff right up the road from me.

though i'll say that the rancher series is a good saw for the money, the fact is they are a throwaway big box product that isn't really meant to be serviced. not that you can't... but the second you start taking one apart its readily apparent that husqy never meant for them to get any love vs. the pro level saws that can be field stripped fixed and reassembled in minutes with an alley key and a flathead screwdriver.

the xp line is a different beast altogether though, at that point choosing a stihl or a husqy is strictly personal preference. i greatly considered the MS460 when i was shopping. personally i think husqvarna's air filter system is better, but in practice this matters very little.

so, as a final recommendation;

if you want one saw to be the last saw you ever buy, most likely capable of doing about anything while still being small enough to work all day, go for a 372xp or a MS460 and equip it with a long enough bar to cut on the ground while standing upright (28" in my case at 5'10").

if you want a small saw for a little pruning around the yard and throwing in the back of your rig just in casers, go for the 346xp or the MS261.

if you want a cheap saw, go to lowes and get a rancher 455. it will probably last you for years and you'll probably be really happy with it, just don't abuse it or pretend your on ax men, and if you really break it you should probably just throw it away. if you get one of these and find yourself outgrowing it, you can probably get a fair bit of your money back selling it. I'm going to guess that the Stihl MS250 is basically the same thing.

okay, so yeah, i can be a bit of a chainsaw nerd...

BTW: here's your cap

http://baileysonline.com/itemdetail....6+56+02&catID=
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.