Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Mid week, afterwork run next week- Carnage Farewell

Anyone interested? I know this isn't a popular trail for most as it is less than scenic, but, since its closing, I thought it might be fun to do one last hurrah.

If we go after work, there should be MUCH less crowding, and we could work a time so that its better for more people. We could hit up a local restaurant afterwards, if people wanted.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Rock Stacker

I would be interested. Especially since I have never done it.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Friday, 5pm at the trail head. Looks like a couple of FJ cruisers, me and a tacoma.

Generation Dead
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Rock Stacker

I am going to have to pass on this I think, due to the rain, as well as having another run bright and early the next morning. Have fun!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Today Friday Isaac? Sept 12? You got a co-pilot seat open?

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yup, today at 5pm.

Sorry bud, another guy already grabbed the passenger seat.

I figured if you came, you'd run the 40!!!!!

I'm pretty sure Kevin needs to try out his new Mud Terrains, since it will be muddy!!!

Generation Dead
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Isaac, you till going today? I am in but wondering if anyone will go do to rain?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm planning on being there. I have windows that roll up.

Generation Dead
Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Well................
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

You are a smart one sir.

It was fun, but had its shares of disasters..

First wasn't a disaster, but we had a guy who was pretty new in an FJ, and understandably was not looking to beat up his rig. But it took a while.

Second was that for the entire run we had the trail to our selves, except for two parts.

First was a group of 2 jeeps and a ford ranger. They were open except the ranger, who had a nice d44 swap, and a lockright. One jeep was on 35's the other on 37's.....

Essentially they were the tiny penis type: Lots of tire and lift, no idea what actually makes a trail truck.

We let them pass, and they were cool.

Fast forward to the waterfall.

The same group of jeeps and ranger is coming down the trail. Drunk. Very Drunk.

And extremely beligerant.

We were getting the new guy through, and taking our time since the rocks had shifted, and some careful tire placement was needed.

We offered to let them pass before the new guy started, as there was a great place to get him off the trail. They said, "No, we'll wait."

5 minutes later they decided they'd had enough waiting, and they started making snide comments about toyotas, and us in general. No one responded.

They then put the first jeep through the bypass, AFTER the idiot driver of the first jeep bragged about how his jeep could do the "buggy line no problem". As he was driving away, he shouted "F___ TOYOTA, THATS HOW A JEEP DOES IT!!!!!!!!!!!" Never mind that he got stuck going DOWN, where NONE of the BONE STOCK FJ's got stuck...

Again, no one responded.

Next up was the ranger, and my buddy troy says to the ranger guy, who actually had a locker and was pretty nice, "You don't have to take the right line, you can try one of the others, though they are much harder, you're truck will be fine."

The owner of the first jeep got in his face, and said, "You trying to get him to F up his truck man." Troy replies, "no, his truck is nicely built, he'll be fine." The guy replies, "I've been running this trail since I was 10 years old, I know how this trail works and how it treats people.".

Oh really? Thats why you're out here acting like a moron in your open open piece of crap thats burning oil, and getting stuck. Sure.

Essentially, the guy in the first jeep was looking for a fight, and we did our best to frustrate that effort. They held us up for an hour, and afterwards we did our best to get cell reception to call the police, since as drunk as they were, they'd never pass a breathelyzer, and guess what people....

Forest service roads are still ROADS, and drunk wheeling WILL result in a DUI!!!!!

Eric, a guy with us, who goes by FJCruzer on this forum, is an ex cop. He was quite certain that the group would be headed to jail if we could get reception.

----------------------------------

Its people like that that REALLY make me sad that this trail is closing. Now, instead of being up there in their idiot drunk groups, they will be out on OTHER trails being drunk idiots.

I REALLY dislike people who don't have a drop of common courtesy. We did our best to accommodate them, and keep them from being held up.
----------------

Anyway, drama aside, I was happy with my run.

My rear bumper worked well, including the hoops I get so much crap about. They served their purpose in protecting the tail light twice, and did not bend at all.

I avoided guardian since it wheelbases stock 4runners. Perfect for completely high centering.

I ran the small rock pile thats next.

I also took the extreme left on the squeeze. At the waterfall, I attempted the "buggy Line" that those idiot jeeps were referring to. I wouldn't really call it a buggy line, but whatever. I got 7/8's of the way up it, and hung on my gas tank. If it hadn't been for that, I would have made it. Got pulled up the rest of the way, which resulted in my only damage for the trip, which was a seperated exhaust pipe at the low end of the headers...Needless to say, the rest of the night was obnoxious with my exhaust venting right after the headers.

As a side note, straight pipes on a V8 are deafening, and pretty cool. Straight pipes on a 22re simply sound like a go cart.

I then did the middle line at FFer, and had no trouble.

The ride home was irritating with the exhaust, and I felt really bad everytime I passed a neighborhood.

Anyway, Kevin, You would not have enjoyed it likely, so glad you didn't come since I would have felt terrible after all my hounding.

Generation Dead