Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Got to love being a homeowner............
Right up there with being a vehicle owner.

I get to replace the wiring harness on the motorcycle we just bought for my wife from my son...

I know, I know...

KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
Did they put a blower in your door to see how much/where you're leaking?
Right. If you haven't had it done get a blower door test. I buddy of mine does such work (NM) and he tested my house for me one December. The test puts the house under vacuum. It was very fun to walk around the house with his infra-red camera and see where the cold air was coming in from. Mostly fixtures in the ceiling and sockets on the exterior walls. Someplace I have those pics.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
In a few months, an IR video will tell you exactly where the heat is escaping... You want a big temperature differential to really show it.

Did they put a blower in your door to see how much/where you're leaking?

I still don't see how new, high-efficiency windows would cause your bill to go up??? Did you see them installed? Were they using ample foam sealant? Do you feel (hot) drafts near any windows?
They've done that test twice now...The first one showed serious leaks from crappy sealing of the windows so they came back out and re-sealed all of the windows. The second test post window resealing showed no leaks. They even sent me a copy of all of the IR pictures they took.

I was here the entire time they installed the windows but I didn't follow them around all day . Maybe I should have. They are at a loss why our energy usage thus bill has gone up, especially now after having resealed the windows...I don't even compare the actual $$ factor, just the usage.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Electrically a kvar is (k)ilo (v)oltage-(a)mp (r)eactive. You are sold electricity based on VA (or really watts), which is the combined complex power. The total watts and var of an alternating source will be the total complex VA delivered. But the power company will try and make as much of the total power equal the real power, since that's what your meter runs on. When you hear people talk about adding capacitance or having heavily inductive loads, the complex part of reactive components is essentially free energy. So they will add caps to users who are running lots of motors, for example. In this case, the unit is probably caps that will make your house load more reactive, which will reduce your bill. It will not reduce your actual load (your energy use will go up slightly), though. When (maybe if) Public Service figures it out they will put inductance or capacitance on your service to correct for the non-metered apparent (reactive) power. They want a power factor as close to 1 as possible because any reactive power in the system makes their efficiency go down. Whether or not they notice on your service, hard to say, but probably not. But at the same time to justify the cost you will have to really screw up the power factor and they will likely eventually notice when you go down 50% in usage.

Dude!! I'll have to read that a few times

As for the cost, everything they are doing is at THEIR cost right now. I looked and it appears a KVAR unit is ~$500ish plus install. My cost would be $0 but I don't want to put on some piece of voodo on my house if it is just voodoo
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater