Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ricardo recently found that scored thrust washers between the outer wheel bearings and lock nuts really played havoc with his preload settings. Setting the preload to FSM torque specs he noticed the fish scale readings were off the charts high. The thrust washers weren't scored too deeply but evidently enough to mess things up. He replaced with new thrust washers and readings all settled back to normal.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yes, UB, I was doing some preventative maintenance this weekend and noticed that my wheel bearings were very loose. It's the first time I've been so lazy with staying on top of things, so it's kinda embarrassing. I usually am better about this stuff. I think the bottom line in my questions isn't so much that they were loose, but that Rubiton is probably when they developed the play and whether or not driving with loose wheel bearings since late June is likely to have worn them dangerously. I haven't had time to do much wheeling or long drives since then and since they looked OK, I just cleaned, packed in new grease and reassembled, fingers crossed.
You probably only have 2-3k on them since Rubi? I doubt they have done any damage unless they are excessively loose.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

You would see the dimples if they were damaged (IMHO, at least). No dimples = reinstall with confidence.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
You would see the dimples if they were damaged (IMHO, at least). No dimples = reinstall with confidence.
Dimples, not sure exactly what that means. Are you referring to the dimple in the races to keep them from spinning? I didn't take the races out and forgot to look on the inside of the bearings that I had out. I might have to delay my departure and pull the hubs apart again tonight, pack and hit the road later tomorrow morning. I don't want to risk a meltdown, eh?

BTW, NAPA seems to only carry Chinese and Mexican made wheel bearings now. Didn't have the Koyo number, so I could asking for them directly. But neither of the sets of bearings and races Havana Auto Parts had were NTN, Koyo, Timken or in fact even had visible manufacturer names. Just an ink printed (not even stamped) P/N and country of origin. But OTOH, they were cheap, $15 for a bearing and race. But they felt every bit as cheap as you'd expect of a $9 bearing. I would not guess they would make 200,000 miles, that's for sure. The hub seal was $19, US-made. Think I will stop and see Jerry on the way home tonight.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I believe the dimples in question will be on OD's of the little round barrels- the things in the bearing that spin and reduce friction between the inner and outer races? If your bearings are bad, those surfaces can get pitting or dimples.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

I got my Koyo bearings at NAPA across the street from Burt for far less than Toyota. Same bearing. Jerry told me it was even less than EMPLOYEE cost. They definitely still sell them. Ask for 'OEM' bearings.

Dimples = deformation in the races from loose bearings. The roller impacts the race resulting in a dimple.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I got my Koyo bearings at NAPA across the street from Burt for far less than Toyota. Same bearing. Jerry told me it was even less than EMPLOYEE cost. They definitely still sell them. Ask for 'OEM' bearings.
The guy at Havana did not have the Koyo listing and told me without the original number he didn't have any way to look them up. I was willing to spend the money, so I'm not sure what his deal was. I will stop at our regular NAPA and ask them tonight. The one by Burt is where I usually get my junk, too, but I usually have the bearing out and can just give them the number. Shrug.
Quote:
Dimples = deformation in the races from loose bearings. The roller impacts the race resulting in a dimple.
Oh, OK. As loose as they were it wouldn't surprise me if they are dimpled then. It's probably just gonna have to work, the HR department here still hasn't processed the FMLA documents. Sheesh. Once I get back to my parent's house I should have some time (doing 3 weeks on this leave). If they are dimpled, think I am pushing my luck asking them to go another 1,000 miles? Keeping in mind that 'high speed' is a relative term with my truck.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

If they are dimpled, you are pushing your luck. Most likely they are not dimpled. Like I say, I fully expected mine to be, and they were great.

Like I say, don't ask for a Koyo P/N, ask NAPA for 'your OEM bearings for a 199x Toyota Pickup, 22RE, 4x4'. They will be the right ones. In a Koyo box even.

I also used to buy them at CarQuest, their 'Blue Line'. Same bearing. That may have changed.

If you get stuck, I have a full set in my drawer. Just replace them when able.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
I seem to change the Chili's bearings every other repack; the outers get a bit discolored and the race track is quite visible. No pits, but I change 'em. I figger highway speeds pulling a camper, I don't need issues.
That's a lot of bearings.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
If they are dimpled, you are pushing your luck. Most likely they are not dimpled. Like I say, I fully expected mine to be, and they were great.

Like I say, don't ask for a Koyo P/N, ask NAPA for 'your OEM bearings for a 199x Toyota Pickup, 22RE, 4x4'. They will be the right ones. In a Koyo box even.

I also used to buy them at CarQuest, their 'Blue Line'. Same bearing. That may have changed.

If you get stuck, I have a full set in my drawer. Just replace them when able.
I will see what our NAPA says. Thanks for the offer, very much appreciated.

I have a full extra set of used parts (they are Koyo, probably the original ones) that came out when I put these in. The current set is OEM/Koyo from Jerry that put in about 50,000 miles ago. I'll probably bring along those if I can't get decent quality new parts. I can find a campground in Kansas tomorrow and do a field replacement easy enough if I have to.

Unless there is a disruption in the space-time continuum and all clocks stop for a few hours, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to proceed at risk since I need to get out of Denver as early as I can tomorrow morning. I have been driving around the past couple of days with the bearings as they are right now and they are not getting hot, making noise and seems to be tracking straight down the highway. Not only the filth of doing wheel bearings, but the chance of dinking a race or screwing up the preload the night before leaving is probably less good.

As stressful as this has been today, at least this and work has kept my mind from wandering.