Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 Series Starting Issues...

So the 's 80 sometimes doesn't want to start...Not a slow start but a turn the key and just a click type of no start...

It looks like Romer went through the same thing recently on Sarah's LX and the symptoms were identical other than the heat. So, I figured I would start where Ken ended up and check the NSS (neutral safety switch) first. That thing is a PITA to get off btw. I guess you could take out the front drive shaft to gain more room to work but I prefer contorting, scraping, banging, etc. my arms and hands on crap

Anyway, I don't think the NSS is my issue. I even went so far as to pull the locking tab and pop out one of the starter wires and it looked great. Guess my next step is to rebuild the starter although I really figured it was going to be the NSS because the truck has always started right up, never giving the typical indications you'd expect as the starter contacts get worn. I had already checked the obvious things (battery connections, cable at the starter, etc.) before pulling the NSS.

Any other thoughts before I break out the impact wrench and get busy on pulling the starter?

Pics...The white goop is whatever Toyota puts on there I guess and it looked clean.
Attached Images

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff, I went straight for the starter contacts on mine a while back. No more starting issues. I should add I also cleaned up the battery terminals & clamps at the same time. But the contacts were pretty worn.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

If you're getting a click, then I agree with Mr. Shark Bait.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

That connector doesnt look good to me. Did you try cleaning it, having someone wiggle the connector while you try and start it. I heard the click when it turned out to be that connector. It was a soft click though, not click click click which would be the starter
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

When my starter contacts went, it was only 1 click. not multiple. I'd go right for the starter contacts as well. Fairly cheap/easy and you know it's done and off the list.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
That connector doesnt look good to me. Did you try cleaning it, having someone wiggle the connector while you try and start it. I heard the click when it turned out to be that connector. It was a soft click though, not click click click which would be the starter
You don't think the connector looks good?? Compared to your picture on MUD I thought mine looked great, basically brand new. The grayish color isn't corrosion, it is (I'm assuming) Toyota dielectric grease and it looks brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
When my starter contacts went, it was only 1 click. not multiple. I'd go right for the starter contacts as well. Fairly cheap/easy and you know it's done and off the list.
Yep, just the 1 click. 1 out of every 4-5 tries it'll start right up and then click. I've got the parts (like everything else I've had them for over a year ) so it'll only cost me the time to replace them at this point.

On a side note I got a good glimpse of the PHH on the 80 and I'm thinking that I probably better go ahead and replace that as well - I'll snap some pictures tonight for those out there interested in seeing it

I guess I'll find out this time around how much coolant leaks out when you don't drain it all out first.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Joe at Slee did my starter before CM. I was having the click symptoms. Problem solved.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Didn't have much time to work on it tonight but I got the starter out (thank God for air tools ) so I'll rebuild it tomorrow night.

In the mean time I got a much better look at the PHH and I'm thinking it needs to go. What do you guys think? I'm wondering...any of you ever change out the PHH without draining the coolant and if so, did it make a HUGE mess or just trickle out?

I don't how folks change the PHH without taking out the starter...

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Pull the solenoid out and apart and clean up that disc thats in there, and depending you might even be able to just flip it over. Every time you start your car that disc gets a little more corroded, and doesnt make a good connection when you try and start it.

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Didn't have much time to work on it tonight but I got the starter out (thank God for air tools ) so I'll rebuild it tomorrow night.

In the mean time I got a much better look at the PHH and I'm thinking it needs to go. What do you guys think? I'm wondering...any of you ever change out the PHH without draining the coolant and if so, did it make a HUGE mess or just trickle out?

I don't how folks change the PHH without taking out the starter...

Whatever drains out you'll replace with new stuff... so you're either not going to make a mess, or you're going to get a clean garage floor and some new coolant. win-win!

www.gamiviti.com