Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Whatever drains out you'll replace with new stuff... so you're either not going to make a mess, or you're going to get a clean garage floor and some new coolant. win-win!
LOL

I like the way you think Tim
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I don't how folks change the PHH without taking out the starter... .
I don't know that but I do know that I got the PHH kit last year (Brett L Fischer [brett@brettfischer.com] and search MUD) and was very impressed. Also remember that hoses rot from the inside out and when you pull your off you'll likely be amazed at the interior deterioration.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Finally found enough time to finish up the work on the 's 80 today...

If I NEVER see another PHH again it will be too soon . Although I must say now that I have done 2 of them, it gets easier as you learn the tricks. I still have not figured out how to get to the lower hard pipe bolt which would make the job even that much easier. This time around I removed the AT fill/dip stick tube and also figured out how to get a torque wrench in there by taking off a bracket...I also figured out that if you leave your work light resting against your air hose long enough the heat will melt through the hose causing a leak . Luckily I caught it before it exploded ...I kept having visions of Hulk hopping around at Rubithon going through my head

There is a pic of how much coolant you can expect to lose when changing out the PHH without draining the block first. Obviously a thorough flushing and new coolant is high on my priority list after seeing what came out...For now I just replaced what came out.

FWIW the old PHH hose was leaky at the ends but otherwise looked in decent shape

Pics...

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

On to the starter...

Pretty nasty and worn down. I was surprised because the truck never gave the typical symtoms that would hint to worn contacts until it started doing the one "click". The plunger was worn down to about 1/2 and the contacts themselves were pretty worn. Got it all fixed up, bolted back in, and the truck started right up. We'll see how it does this week.

In the end I had some time left so I took advantage of it and replaced my MAF with a Landtank housing and new sensor. 45 minutes later I was enjoying the mod. I rarely drive the 's 80 so I can't comment on the improvement but hopefully next weekend I can get mine done...

Pics...

Attached Images

TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

You rock, Jeff! Great work!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
You rock, Jeff! Great work!
Thanks dude - Took me almost a week but hey, it isn't like I can bill the hourly or anything . As payment she let me fill her 80 up and returned mine to me with a 1/2 tank
TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Good work, Jeff! that's got to be a good feeling to have both of those done.

On the anti-freeze though, it looks like you're running green in the engine, but red in the bucket? How'd you do that?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
On the anti-freeze though, it looks like you're running green in the engine, but red in the bucket? How'd you do that?
Nope...all red, albeit very dark nasty looking red

Where do you see green
TLCA #17037

:

Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I thought this looked green.. sorry not one of my best jokes.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Bump to the top...

The intermittent start is back - Everything has been great for the last 6 months but within the last week or two the truck wouldn't start on several occasions.

The scenario this time around is no click, just nothing. Dash lights light up and all but nothing else when you try to start the 80. I was out messing with the reported blown speaker issue today and the stupid 80 wouldn't start for me the second time I tried. It started up fine the first time (I wasn't hearing any noise from the rear speakers so I thought maybe it was only happening while the 80 was running). After about 6+ times of trying, the 80 started and when I turned it off I heard a strange noise that I've never heard before, and can't describe, but I am wondering if it is the starter not disengaging?

I really don't have time for this (trying to get the LX ready for CM and with the crappy weekend weather I'm not making any headway) but until it is fixed I lose the LX to the so she doesn't get stranded, meaning wrenching time on the LX will be even less/limited.

I did an hour of searching on MUD (again) reading threads again and thinking maybe the NSS really is the culprit (Romer mentioned last year that my NSS "connector doesn't look good") and I reread Romer's thread on MUD (link) but a post makes me think that the NSS is NOT the culprit. It states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyT View Post
I confirmed that the A/T Oil Temp, Brake, and Oil Level lamps only come on when the ignition switch is in the start position and the NSS is in park or neutral. If the NSS switch is bad or disconnected, these lamps do no light up (and, of course, the starter solenoid does not get energized). It would have been interesting to see if these lamps were coming on back when you were having your problems, Ken. If they weren't, it would have definitely pointed to a problem other than the starter.
Ok...Well the 80's A/T Oil Temp, Brake, and Oil Level lamps all come on when I try to start the 80. Has anyone else confirmed the above to be true? If so, then I either really fubarred the starter rebuild on the 80 (possible) or something else is wrong with the starter and it needs to be replaced.

I'd hate to just throw $$ at the problem and buy a remanned starter but frankly I have less time than $$ right now and R&Ring the starter is one of the few things I have experience with now (after 2 PHH replacements and starter rebuilds) so I figure a couple hours and it would be replaced.

Any thoughts, obvious things I'm missing?

Oh...battery is fine...Battery contacts are fine...And the rig only has 115K miles on it

Right now I'm in TJ's world with the Cruisers...I'm tired of working on them and half wishing the would consider trading in the 80 for a new vehicle with a warranty so I'd have one less "old" Cruiser to work on...

TIA and sorry for the
TLCA #17037

: