Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Scion radio XM radio

I'm thinking about installing a scion radio into my 100. I've searched on mud and found some info. What I'm trying to acomplish is to ditch the tape deck to XM radio connection. The FM thing in useless. My cassette deck is starting to "flip the tape" regularly and it's interupting my beats.

Options:
1. I could, I think, get a aux imput like this http://picasaweb.google.com/ccds22/0...ey=s-mTIUytZ0E and keep my factory stereo. I like the price. $60

2. Get a scion radio that is sat ready, get the xm reciever for that and make the deck run the xm? I need help with this one. Any experience? It apears XM no longer offers their universal reciever? $200 I like the stock look.

2.1 Get a scion radio and install an aux imput similar to option 1 but with a newer deck <$100

3. Some aftermarket stereo with a XM ready or AUX imput on the face or something.? Any recomendations?

Some things that seem relevant. I don't have nor intend to get an I-pod. I do not own CD's. I did, but having small children and CD's are like giving them an open bucket of paint and telling them not to make a mess. I don't really understand how a mp3 is different than a CD. They both look like shiny frisbys and scratch. I will listen to my XM anytime the engine in running. My factory antena goes up and down like in an 80, But I dont recall the last time I used it. I have the factory subwoofer and it seems fine to me. I've read sometimes it can work with Scion radios, and mostly not. I am afraid of electrical, but I can follow instructions mostly. I listen to Old School Rap mostly and BBC world service. I secretly want to be one of those guys with the stupid loud stereo. I like the sound of my factory stereo, but I don't really know what I'm missing. Lastly we do not and will not watch DVD's in the truck. I'd do a NAV/gps system if it was as good as a Gazateer. Directions on pavement I don't need.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ah! I DO have experience with this!

My Toyota MR2-Spyder has a SCION radio in it. Drops right in. Plugs and all (2001 MR-s). The radio has the SAT button on it. From here, I plugged in a $10 XM decoder that I found in a walmart junk bin "for Toyota." It was some kind of XM "universal" receiver. Orange packaging. There is a mini8 DIN cable between the head unit and the decoder. Mount up the antenna and bingo. The XM module shows up on the head unit. No sweat! Call up XM with my radio ID and I was on XM65 in about 5 minutes.
My SCION head unit plays CDs or MP3 CD-ROMS. You can cram a lot of mp3's on a CD.

Oh yeah, and you can customize the display on the SCION head unit. Instead of saying "SCION," Mine says, "MR2-Spyder" when you turn on the car. You can also get it to display in Japanese if you want the full meal deal "JDM" look.

In my 1989 4Runner, I have a Wal-mart Sony head unit that my wife installed for me. It too is "satellite ready." $10 on craigslist got me a XM tuner module "for sony." similar to the SCION install, except the sony unit required RCA cables from the back of the unit to the XM module.
The wal-mart Sony head unit also plays CDs or MP3 CD-ROMS.

Both the Sony and SCION radio's work pretty well with the universal receivers. The only complaint might be that the SCION display is pretty short and doesn't scroll the text as well as the stock XM receivers. In addition, there is a slight lag between when you hit "change channel" and when the music comes back on. The universal tuner just isn't as fast as the XM receivers. It really (really) doesn't bother me. We're talking 1 second of dead air...tops.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

links to scion radio stuff on Spyderchat:

http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.p...34167&hl=scion
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

You might try Mountain States Toyota, they had a few extra Scion radios for @ $100. Talk to Dana and let him know your from the club!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm looking at this http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-GEX-P920...QQcmdZViewItem and this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by farnhamstj; 09-11-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: oops
Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Check this out:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...00-series.html

I thought there would be more info on Scion radios in 100 series, but there is not. Buy that one off ebay for $20 and check! If it's not you could sure sell it to an 80 owner.

I used the CD changer socket on the Scion unit in my 80 for an aux input converter and run my Stiletto docking station through that. Works great.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, read that and just about every thread having to do with scion radios. Most have to do with i-pod installs. The 100 stuff seems mostly concerned with getting it to fit in the dash. But that's 2000+ they have a different dash than 98-99. 98-99 is square and looks like a scion would be a direct replacement. I have questions about the stock amp and subwoofer. Some claim the scion will run them, some do not? What about an aftermarket amp and sub? I assume I can always add one to the Scion radio. Any radio geeks out there want to share any experiences. I'm not after the badest stereo on the block, but I'd like to take it up a notch from factory.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Yeah, read that and just about every thread having to do with scion radios. Most have to do with i-pod installs. The 100 stuff seems mostly concerned with getting it to fit in the dash. But that's 2000+ they have a different dash than 98-99. 98-99 is square and looks like a scion would be a direct replacement. I have questions about the stock amp and subwoofer. Some claim the scion will run them, some do not? What about an aftermarket amp and sub? I assume I can always add one to the Scion radio. Any radio geeks out there want to share any experiences. I'm not after the badest stereo on the block, but I'd like to take it up a notch from factory.
All I know was the instructions for the 80 was to disconnect the external amp.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I can tell you that the scion head unit in my MR-S has little power. You'll need some kinda amp for any kinda FUN.

"The louder the better! Right Dad?" -Coworkers 7 y.o. daughter
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

If it doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up it's not loud enough. If old ladies don't give you dirty looks as you drive past, it's not loud enough. Classic music.... yeah, I listen to the Beastie Boys and LL. Cool J.