Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 03-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hey Scott, we will have some camera's both still and video to take pics. No need to bring the pic with the wife and kids to show that you are a good family man. We all know you are. Any how looking forward to the 1st. later robbie
Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 PM

for folks that have run this trail.
can i get away with a stock 88p/u on 33's? never seen the trail so i figured id ask
shawn
Old 03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

whadda bout the diesel :fing: Will i have any issues taking all the bypasses? yea I already know I'm a wuss.
TLCA#4180
Old 03-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can run this trail in a capable stock rig. Don't let the pics scare you...Old Chinaman's starts out with a rocky climb that has a couple of small ledges and a kind of tight squeeze between two boulders, and there is no bypass to this. After that, all of the serious rock obstacles have bypasses (the bypass to the pics on this thread is to the right hand side).

I know I am being redundant to earlier posts, but if you are looking to test out your rig (and yourself) in a group with varying capabilities, you can't beat Old Chinaman's. The fun starts in the first 100 feet and goes all day. If you can get up the initial climb, and I doubt anybody will have any problems, then you should be good. If you can't get up the initial climb, then there's hot springs and cold nearby .

Nay
Old 03-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig
I tried that line once and could get the front up, but the rear just would not climb it. had to come off it. I think the wheel base was a little too long and the front did not have enough weight to pull it up.
This is actually more tech, but it brings up an interesting question: Robbie, what you describe sounds like the typical "unloading" with radius arm suspensions on steep climbs, where the front end will just "drop out" rather than retaining balanced weight and pulling forward. Radius arms installed on hardcore rigs typically need a limiting strap system to counteract this so that the tires have full droop on each side, but the entire axle cannot droop more than a few inches and "unload".

Seems the longer wheelbase would keep better weight on the front and be a major advantage (presuming enough breakover angle), not the other way around...just curious as to what you think about the radius arm issue.

Nay
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay
You can run this trail in a capable stock rig. Don't let the pics scare you...Old Chinaman's starts out with a rocky climb that has a couple of small ledges and a kind of tight squeeze between two boulders, and there is no bypass to this. After that, all of the serious rock obstacles have bypasses (the bypass to the pics on this thread is to the right hand side).

I know I am being redundant to earlier posts, but if you are looking to test out your rig (and yourself) in a group with varying capabilities, you can't beat Old Chinaman's. The fun starts in the first 100 feet and goes all day. If you can get up the initial climb, and I doubt anybody will have any problems, then you should be good. If you can't get up the initial climb, then there's hot springs and cold nearby .

Nay
I agree with Nay on his descrpiption of this trail. 33's and a little driving skill and you won't have problems.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Lifted

That rock looks fun hope I have my wheels in time to make it and see if my iroks hook up
Old 03-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Rock Stacker

Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

How "rookie"? What other trails have you run?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout14
Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave

this trail is rated a 7 out of 10. only portions are a seven, but let that be your guide. I did this trail once without sliders and on 31's, and I had the sawzall out the next day.