Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Rock Stacker

Default how good is the OME suspension for the 3rd generation 4runner?

I just bought a '99 4runner, and I don't like the ride qualities compared to my old FJ60 with a OME suspension. The 4runner seems very stiff, where the FJ60 with the OME suspension was great. From what I seen the OME suspension that adds about 2 inches of lift has been a favorite. The spring rates are described as stiffer than the factory springs. I really want the increased lift with a softer ride. Can anybody comment on the OME suspensions as far as ride improvement is concerned?

Thanks for your comments,

FWB
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

I found them harsh on the Taco. I don't like the fact that the different springs available differ not at all in spring rate, only in length, which equates to preload. Too much IMHO.

I like the rear coils though, especially the HDs. FZJ80 stock front coils also work extremely well, and are near free, but you will have to relocate your panhard rod, and lengthen your swaybar connects if you choose to keep the swaybar. Not huge; and you should do the same with any taller spring. Some think they are a bit too tall, YMMV.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I found them harsh on the Taco.

I like the FZJ80 extremely well. YMMV.
Got it locked in place....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

The OME springs for my Taco come in different spring rates (590 lb is "normal", and they offer a 660 lb "heavy"). So there may be something out there for the Runner.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

I have the OME for my 3rd Gen. 4Runner and love it. I did it a few years back, can look up which models I went with, but it made all the difference in the world. Took my truck up about 2", but made the ride much more solid and stable. The truck handled so much better. I waited years to do it, and as soon as it was done I said to myself, "self, why the heck did you wait so long to do this mod to your 4Runner."
TLCA#11073
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. My truck feals solid now, too solid. Every bump seems to come through the suspension. I want it to absorb some of the bumps. It is nothing like the FJ60. That felt firm, but didn't seem to transmit the road bumps. Maybe it was the 5500 lbs of vehicle weight. Uncle Ben mentioned the FZJ80 springs. I wonder what spring rate those are.

FWB
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Are you talking front or rear suspension here? Remember the FZJ80 springs are big coils, they will only fit in the rear and will give you at LEAST 3" of lift. I'm surprised that you say the IFS of your 3rd gen runner is stiffer than the leaf springs of your 60.. is this all the time? Or just when off road? What tire pressure are you at? Do you have crappy stiff shocks? Are your torsion bars cranked up?

I ask because my experience with a 3rd gen Runner was just opposite, so maybe there's something else going on. hth...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Rock Stacker

Keep your idea coming. The springs on the FJ60 are OME, so they ride very well. My only experience with my 4runner is on the road, around town. It feels like the truck has no real suspension. It rolls (not body roll, the whole truck) whenever there is a slight dip on one side, like there is no wheel travel. Also, even small holes in the road produce noticable bumps. It is like riding with a very stiff suspension. I just bought it on Monday, and haven't had the time to check tire pressure, or other things. Maybe the shocks are very stiff. Are the torsion bars you talk about torsion springs, or the anti-sway bars. I was thinking about disconnecting the anti-sway bars, because it feels kind of like what they would do if they were stiff.