Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO
Default Control arm bushings - FZJ80

Is there any trick to keeping the bushings in place? Looked under the rig this morning and the driver's side control arm has moved passenger enough that it has been digging into the axle housing brackets. Both bushings are about 1/2" exposed now.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

The bushings should not move! maybe try staking the edge of the control arm after you slide the bushing back.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yellow or blue bushings? You might try some Loctite sleeve retainer to glue them in place.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Blue ones
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Did the inside of the bushing opening get powdercoated? Might not have enough grip if it did.
In that case x2 on the Loctite.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

aren't the bushings supposed to get pressed in? that means they should be pretty dang tight.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thats strange. We did press them in and they were pretty tight. I would center them and stake as Kevin suggests. If it still happens we will make the seller warranty them
Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm wondering if you shouldn't try to shorten your panhard rod a little.. are you getting any frame rubbing on either side under mad flex? It looks like your axle is being forced over towards the passenger side, and that's why your bushings are sticking out on the DS. You might be able to move them back to center with it all still in place, if you can get the right puller around the U-channel of the axle.. then either stake it like UB suggests, or maybe squirt a little metal onto the control arm that will act like a little stop? It's not bad as it sits though, and can't get any worse since the control arm is right up against the U-channel of the axle. But it should all be centered while at rest, so I wonder if your axle could stand to slide over a skoch.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pardon my statement, and with all due respect, but staking the arms is not the proper solution or fix considering the cost of the arms, bushings, labor, etc.

It takes so little force to center the axle (I've done it twice this week with a small rachet strap), that I doubt the parts have the correct tolerances. I will be buying these arms soon, so I am not knocking them nor his price.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
Pardon my statement, and with all due respect, but staking the arms is not the proper solution or fix considering the cost of the arms, bushings, labor, etc.

It takes so little force to center the axle (I've done it twice this week with a small rachet strap), that I doubt the parts have the correct tolerances. I will be buying these arms soon, so I am not knocking them nor his price.
Stakes done properly are easily repaired. I have the billet arms too and would not have any resistance to stake them if my bushings were moving. The fact is CA bushings are interference fit and should not be moving without considerable force so why are they?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior