Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
I want to find the ideal damping properties I need for a "light" 80 that has 5" of lift, for the best possible ride, whether it's rock crawling in CO or driving "fast" in the AZ desert or on choppy, rutted washboard dirt roads anywhere.

Bilstein 7100's are the goal, so they can be revalved, and have better anti-fade properties with a remote reservoir-style system. If an OME shock is $90, why not have a rebuildable, revalvable shock for less than twice the price?

Even if I have to ditch the Slee 4" springs for lighter spring rates found in FOR or Downey with 2" spring spacers to get the height, I will do so.

I am even looking at F-O-A off road shocks. They have a 2.5" reservoir shock for under $200 each.

I am first going to experiment with some Bilstein 5125 10" socks with 255/70 valving to see if I can get away with lighter valving than some are running on 7100's (400/100), since my 80 is lighter than others. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go the 7100 route, try 360/80 valving and go from there. Again, if I don't like the characteristics of a heavy sprung/damped 80, I will go with a lighter spring rate and lighter damping.

I will be looking like a used shock warehouse very soon, and will be selling my 3 week old OME "L" shocks for a good deal.
I can tell ya right now the bilstein 5125's aren't going to work well with an 80. I ran those and I always had an extra bounce after a bump/dip. You need to go higher for sure.

I"d go with the 7100's at least instead of paying for shipping back and fourth on different shocks and all you time. Just revalve them.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
Also, have you looked into the Fox 2.0's? I hear good things about them even compared to the 7100's. What I like about the 7100's is the short body option, gives you all kinds of suspension tuning options in terms of up/down travel.
If their off road dept. is as arrogant as their mtb dept., I don't want to deal with Fox.

Wow, that's light damping in the front, must be a light spring. Better not add a winch.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
I can tell ya right now the bilstein 5125's aren't going to work well with an 80. I ran those and I always had an extra bounce after a bump/dip. You need to go higher for sure.

I"d go with the 7100's at least instead of paying for shipping back and fourth on different shocks and all you time. Just revalve them.
Ben, did you have alot of weight in the back- I recall your old 80 had at least a big bumper with a tire carrier? Any sub tank or drawers? My 80 has the frame bobbed, no spare tire crossmember, and was light enough that I got 3.5" of lift out of 863 springs.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Ben, did you have alot of weight in the back- I recall your old 80 had at least a big bumper with a tire carrier? Any sub tank or drawers? My 80 has the frame bobbed, no spare tire crossmember, and was light enough that I got 3.5" of lift out of 863 springs.
All I had was a shaved TJM bumper, trimmed and light. and the spare. I got over 4.5" out of the J springs. No 3rd row seats or anything else in the back. The shocks were nicer feeling than the OME's. Definitely less harsh. I just couldn't stand the extra bounce/squishy that I got from a dip.

I know Sam on ih8mud has FOR springs and wasn't completely happy with the shock rate. But they are WAAAAAY heavy. They also said it "bounced"

Nay does yours do this same thing? You go into a dip, rear end goes down, rebounds up and then back down...and up to level again. It's not like it bounces like crazy...just an extra little bounce.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
All I had was a shaved TJM bumper, trimmed and light. and the spare. I got over 4.5" out of the J springs. No 3rd row seats or anything else in the back. The shocks were nicer feeling than the OME's. Definitely less harsh. I just couldn't stand the extra bounce/squishy that I got from a dip.

I know Sam on ih8mud has FOR springs and wasn't completely happy with the shock rate. But they are WAAAAAY heavy. They also said it "bounced"

Nay does yours do this same thing? You go into a dip, rear end goes down, rebounds up and then back down...and up to level again. It's not like it bounces like crazy...just an extra little bounce.
Yes, the FOR damping is very light. 168/73 up front, and he has custom valving in the rear, but told me that it is only a couple percent stiffer. My rears are also 168/73 (I don't have the final custom rear shocks), and on a good dip I'll get extra bounce in the rear. In essence, that means there isn't full rebound control.

I ran 255/70 5125's on my old XJ, and they were still very supple shocks even with some beefy leaf springs in the rear. I don't think the front needs the 360/80 rate, but the rear would absolutely use it.

The FOR springs (227/254) are comparable in stated rate to OME J (220/250), but it's a differently designed and manufactured spring. Don't want to spark another debate here on springs, just passing along some info.

Given both the Slee and OME springs were designed for use with OME shocks and their higher valving, I think in using Bilsteins you are going to want those higher rates or you'll end up with some bounce.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Wow, that's light damping in the front, must be a light spring. Better not add a winch.
The springs handle load extremely well, I did some load testing that could be found by searching on MUD and that I won't drag back into the mud (pun?) here . The damping, however, could be significantly altered and improved upon depending on your usage.

As I've said, I plan to run the 10" SB 7100 at some point - that's the only shock that is as short in compressed length as mine with adjustable valving. Everything else gets too long at my lift height and I start having coil issues.

None of this matters of course, you don't have FOR springs, but hopefully it helps assess your damping goals so you don't have to try a number of different shocks.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ok, So I'm thinking 360/80 in the back and 275/78 in the front to start, 10", regular bodies. I think at my height and droop measurements, I can always add more bump stop.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Ok, So I'm thinking 360/80 in the back and 275/78 in the front to start, 10", regular bodies. I think at my height and droop measurements, I can always add more bump stop.
Yup, should be perfect for a 5" lift, you may even be able to raise the rear mounts a bit to keep a 50/50 travel ratio.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

I forgot, I need to fab my rear lower mounts.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Someone talked me into those adapters way back when I had my blue 60. It was a dumb move in that it shortened the shock travel significantly.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln