Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default That's a first....

Was at King Soopers today. As I was getting ready to leave some lady comes up and complements on how she liked my "Jeep". Then asked if that's what I called it... I told here it was a Toyota. She started to walk away while saying that it was a "cute" Jeep . Maybe that means it's time to do some more work on it.............

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr
. Maybe that means it's time to do some more work on it.............
I'll warm up the sawzall....

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Rising Sun member

wow, I can kinda understand the whole FJ40=Jeep thing for most people, but a bobbed runner? Ummm...okay
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
wow, I can kinda understand the whole FJ40=Jeep thing for most people, but a bobbed runner? Ummm...okay
look up where the name "jeep" comes from.

They have been fords, willy's and others...

j
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Rising Sun member

Sorry John, don't see your point

Ford GP (General Purpose) --> Jeep, so ??

Help...how does this relate?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Perry,
Don't know how to solve your problem but the rest of us could wear these!
:fing: :lmao
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
Sorry John, don't see your point

Ford GP (General Purpose) --> Jeep, so ??

Help...how does this relate?
It's a matter of public perception. Those of us imersed in the 4wd world are highly attuned to specifics, however, the word "jeep" to the rest of the world means 4wd vehicle that is really going "off-road"

I have found in my travels, most mean well, but the can't or don't need to distinguish what the vehicle is. Also, the bulk of the public that I have run into call 4wd roads "jeep roads". I have been asked many times if I was going "jeeping" this weekend with my "truck" by my co-workers.

All the time I used to hear: Wow, that's a cool Range Rover, my buddy let me drive his "land rover" once, but I've never driven a "range rover".

Or, I used to get that sure is a nice Cruiser. (when I was driving a big red Rover).

To the un-initiated, they are all the same, but the "jeep" name is the most famous.

I do have a suggestion though, maybe we should call him (perry) "chick magnet" from now on????
Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by green machine
It's a matter of public perception. Those of us imersed in the 4wd world are highly attuned to specifics, however, the word "jeep" to the rest of the world means 4wd vehicle that is really going "off-road"

I have found in my travels, most mean well, but the can't or don't need to distinguish what the vehicle is. Also, the bulk of the public that I have run into call 4wd roads "jeep roads". I have been asked many times if I was going "jeeping" this weekend with my "truck" by my co-workers.

All the time I used to hear: Wow, that's a cool Range Rover, my buddy let me drive his "land rover" once, but I've never driven a "range rover".

Or, I used to get that sure is a nice Cruiser. (when I was driving a big red Rover).

To the un-initiated, they are all the same, but the "jeep" name is the most famous.

I do have a suggestion though, maybe we should call him (perry) "chick magnet" from now on????
Daimler/Chysler is what really made the push to seperate Jeep from jeep. "There's only one," and other campains have been hard launched trying to seperate Jeep's from the rest of the vehicles. As mentioned many times the term "jeep" came from just before World War 2 with the military "GP" designation on a ford "general purpose" vehicle. The soldiers naturally nicknamed the "GP" a "jeep." The vehicle obviously filled a spot that was needed but the Ford GP wasn't up to the task. The US Army put out a huge call for alternatives. Most large manufacturers were already near bankrupt because America was broke so everyone jumped on the bandwagon. (Even Toyota!) Willis/Overland won the contract and even though the GP was no longer used the term "jeep" became a common term for these short and manuverable all terrain vehicles. Not positive about how the G got changed to a J ....gotta reread some history articles.

So, Perry feel proud that that lady thinks you drive a Ford! :lmao
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 02-20-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
So, Perry feel proud that that lady thinks you drive a Ford! :lmao
That's funny :lmao

Perry, what about out there on the swell at the rock art. Those "chicks" liked your Jeep the most :fing:
TLCA#4180
Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
That's funny :lmao

Perry, what about out there on the swell at the rock art. Those "chicks" liked your Jeep the most :fing:
Yeah, that's funny. Think it's all because of the tube work in the back . I mean yeah it's cool that those "chicks" where checking out my rig and all but I always think it's funny, especially when there is a more capable rig next to me and they don't realize it. Like at this years "Outlaws Run", Robbie and I stopped at Swasey's Cabin, some guy in a atv came up to us. Complemented on how "extreme" my rig was, not even looking at Robbie's over built 80 . Robbie in his 80 can go waaaaaaaaaaaay more places than my "cute" jeep. Sure give me a spotter and i'm able to go through what the truck can handle. But Robbie, yeah just goes wherever I take him :p . Maybe by the time I get ready to do the "Outlaw Expedition" i'll be as ready as "old" Robbie.........

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"