Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default In dash nav/stereo rec's

So my stock stereo in my 80 decided to ignore the radio tuner today. The cd still works but I've lost AM and FM. I could probably ressurect the thing or find an OE unit collecting dust on someone's shelf but I'd rather use this opportunity to look at some indash double DIN nav/stereo units.

I've seen some comments on Kenwood DNX7120 and DNX8120 units and would love to hear some first hand opinions. I'd really love to be able to stick CD or DVD in the unit to access local topo maps with a good GPS interface. I'd like quick startup. A wireless connection to an Ipod Touch would be cool. A backup camera with good enough resolution so that the camera could be mounted under the truck as a rock cam would be cool. Solid sound quality is a given. Oh and a remote mounted rotary encoder volume control would be good. Whatd'ya think? What should I be looking at? I'm not on an unlimited budget but I'd like to consider all options before deciding. TIA
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

You could always go the Scion route.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Trail Ready

you could always get a mac mini carputer. a guy on mud has one in his 80. goto mp3car.com to check them out.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

The Scion route is a possibility but I wanted to explore something that could do more. The Mac Mini is intriging. I've read the thread before and thought about it. I already have a Mini and am familiar with it. It's a bit more complicated an install than I want to do. I'd like the amp, head unit and screen to be all in one box but the car computer concept is kinda cool. Has anyone created a startup script so that the computer would boot right into the stereo/gps software with having to launch multiple programs?

I still not totally sold on having the gps unit permanently mounted in the truck but I'd also like to get away from additional stuff stuck to the windshield with wires all over the dash.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Trail Ready

you just have to read through mp3car.com. have you ever used the apple remote? they have a "frontend" like that that is touch screen. So you can touch itunes, dvd player, gps, but the radio would be separate.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I've been thinking about these too, so I'm curious what you come up with. The other night I was checking out this cheap Pioneer http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p..._AVH_P4000DVD/ what drew me to it was a volume knob and input in the front. It's without navigation though, but under $400.

If you want a good OE unit to borrow until you figure this out let me know, I got an extra.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I have the Valor head unit in my 80 and for the most part I like it a lot. A major downside to it (and most Nav units) is the Nav software is for finding street or city locations. I want more! It does everything except wifi. The maps are on SD cards and do not interfere with DVD play or cd's. I've never put the TV antenna on so I'm not sure how well it pulls in 9 news.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior