Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Bikeman Bikeman is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 685
Default

Stop all the nonsense talk and start lookin' at 37's. You know you want to.
__________________
Mike


1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Nay's Avatar
Nay Nay is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
Stop all the nonsense talk and start lookin' at 37's. You know you want to.
37x12.5x17 Cooper Discover STT on FJC 17x7.5 steelies (sold by Discount Tire) you mean?

I probably have a buyer for my entire set with rims
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,149
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
37x12.5x17 Cooper Discover STT on FJC 17x7.5 steelies (sold by Discount Tire) you mean?

I probably have a buyer for my entire set with rims
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Nay's Avatar
Nay Nay is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
And the tires are probably cheaper than the Toyo 315's .
23/32nd tread depth
Made in a 12 section mold like the Toyos with a similar sidewall design
In a 17" rim, probably much nicer on the highway than 35" Trxus
Lighter than both the Toyo and Trxus MT in a 35"
Discount Tire is giving $100 off tire/wheel combos
Would look perfect

Would they fit with only some rear inner well rubbing at full stuff with my existing bumpstops? Probably.

Bikeman wants 37's, looking for a guinea pig

Anybody know the weight of the FJC steelies vs. 80 alloys?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,149
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

How is the actual height of the Coopers comparred to the Toyos which are actually pretty close to 35". You could go with 37" Mtr's as I bet they are only an inch diameter taller than your Trxus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
And the tires are probably cheaper than the Toyo 315's .
23/32nd tread depth
Made in a 12 section mold like the Toyos with a similar sidewall design
In a 17" rim, probably much nicer on the highway than 35" Trxus
Lighter than both the Toyo and Trxus MT in a 35"
Discount Tire is giving $100 off tire/wheel combos
Would look perfect

Would they fit with only some rear inner well rubbing at full stuff with my existing bumpstops? Probably.

Bikeman wants 37's, looking for a guinea pig

Anybody know the weight of the FJC steelies vs. 80 alloys?
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Nay's Avatar
Nay Nay is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
How is the actual height of the Coopers comparred to the Toyos which are actually pretty close to 35". You could go with 37" Mtr's as I bet they are only an inch diameter taller than your Trxus!
I think the Cooper are about the same size at MTR's, and they are cheaper and have factory siping and only a 10" tread width - narrower tread is important for inner well rubbing.

37x12.5x17 on 17x7.5 Tundra rims with 1.25" wheel spacers (3/4" less backspace than stock) in the pic below. They don't "look" that big, but a 17" rim is deceptive. To me, the proportions look like the Toyo on a 16" rim, which means they are probably 36" at about 37 PSI unloaded (not mounted).

I definitely have to play quarterback to go after that one, but damn it's tempting with my 5.29's.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,149
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
I think the Cooper are about the same size at MTR's, and they are cheaper and have factory siping and only a 10" tread width - narrower tread is important for inner well rubbing.

37x12.5x17 on 17x7.5 Tundra rims with 1.25" wheel spacers (3/4" less backspace than stock) in the pic below. They don't "look" that big, but a 17" rim is deceptive. To me, the proportions look like the Toyo on a 16" rim, which means they are probably 36" at about 37 PSI unloaded (not mounted).

I definitely have to play quarterback to go after that one, but damn it's tempting with my 5.29's.
Dude,
I have to agree with Bikeman....what are you waiting for? Operators are standing by! Hmmmmm come to think of it....painted/powder coated steel wheels "chip" so that is absolutely perfect with your Guacamole!
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

yeah I"m thinking those 37's too

what about the sidewalls on those coopers?
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
Hopefully Romer and Corsair will pipe in about siping, I know Ken runs at least as many trails as I do in a year of similar difficulty re: chunking due to siping.
Yep mined are siped despite everything I've heard about chunking. I only had the center lugs siped (of course part of the outer lugs get siped just because they overlap with the inner lugs) and I have not had any problems with chunking. Granted, I don't run major trails but the tires have been on Porcupine Rim, Poison Spider, Fins, Metal Masher, and Hells Revenge plus some local trails and have not chunked yet. Of course, my LX spends 90% of its life on the road, probably more...

I found the siped Toyos to perform better in the snow than the set of dedicated snow tires I had on my old Durango (Yokohamas). I don't know how they perform unsiped because they have been siped since day one. Currently the Toyos have about 14K miles on them and the siping is still showing so wear appears to be pretty darn good for a MT. That is a good thing with as expensive as those suckers are.
__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Nay's Avatar
Nay Nay is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
yeah I"m thinking those 37's too

what about the sidewalls on those coopers?
Yea, gotta love those 37's. This is what happens when you are bored on conference calls, you end up with 37's .

I'm gonna stick with 35's this time around, looks like Toyos and I'll have them siped. I wasn't concerned about the Cooper's sidewalls, but clearly there is a reason those tires are so much lighter.

Sorry, I know it would have been good to figure out 37's on a 3.5" lift, but I gotta stay sane, money is not what it was say a couple days ago. I gotta follow on this one
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.