Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Slipping Transmission

Rachel's 4runner (99 3rd gen, auto 3.4L) has an intermittent slip in the transmission. Doesn't happen all the time. I don't want the tranny to go out on her leaving her stranded.

The right fix is to either replace or rebuild the existing tranny.

I know there is Lucas stop slip out there, not sure if that really works.

On thread on Yota tech made a mention of a pressure adjustment cable thats located up near the throttle body that would increase the pressure for the clutch. Couldn't find any more info on that and I don't know if an adjustment there could help her.

The tranny fluid was changed (full fluid exchange)40K miles ago and still looks good. Didn't do the filter but don't see how that would cause a slip.

Any ideas out there?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

How many miles are on it? Rebuilding is very costly but you can find the A340F tranny in salvage yards a plenty! It actually is very similer to the 343 in your 80! Tough slushboxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Rachel's 4runner (99 3rd gen, auto 3.4L) has an intermittent slip in the transmission. Doesn't happen all the time. I don't want the tranny to go out on her leaving her stranded.

The right fix is to either replace or rebuild the existing tranny.

I know there is Lucas stop slip out there, not sure if that really works.

On thread on Yota tech made a mention of a pressure adjustment cable thats located up near the throttle body that would increase the pressure for the clutch. Couldn't find any more info on that and I don't know if an adjustment there could help her.

The tranny fluid was changed (full fluid exchange)40K miles ago and still looks good. Didn't do the filter but don't see how that would cause a slip.

Any ideas out there?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
How many miles are on it? Rebuilding is very costly but you can find the A340F tranny in salvage yards a plenty! It actually is very similer to the 343 in your 80! Tough slushboxes!
There is 140K total miles on it. I have a good Russian friend who likely has one as well.

I am trying to gauge if this is something that will fail and strand her, or something that will slowly get worse over time. I am also wondering if there are things (Adjustments, Lucas ant-slip) that would lengthen the life.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
There is 140K total miles on it. I have a good Russian friend who likely has one as well.

I am trying to gauge if this is something that will fail and strand her, or something that will slowly get worse over time. I am also wondering if there are things (Adjustments, Lucas ant-slip) that would lengthen the life.
140k is not that high of mileage. You might have a fixable issue going on!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

My transmission has the same issue. I have found that it dislikes hauling more than one person around. What you need is to add some more clutch to the bands.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
My transmission has the same issue. I have found that it dislikes hauling more than one person around. What you need is to add some more clutch to the bands.
Maybe just dump some liquid smoke into the tranny dipstick tube!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I might have a qualified tranny shop take some pressure measurements. I wouldn't add any 'rebuild in a can' of any brand. Given my history with tranny shops, I'd install a good used one before I'd pay a small fortune to have one fully rebuilt and then hope they did it correctly.

Juyst my .02...

Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I might have a qualified tranny shop take some pressure measurements. I wouldn't add any 'rebuild in a can' of any brand. Given my history with tranny shops, I'd install a good used one before I'd pay a small fortune to have one fully rebuilt and then hope they did it correctly.

Juyst my .02...

Steve

Sound advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

The cable they are talking about is the Kick down cable just like on your 80. If you look at the throttle body, you should see 3 cables that go to it. One is the throttle cable, one is the cable for the cruise control and the other is for the transmission. You will need a couple of wrenches. Either 12mm or 14 mm(the 80 is 14 mm). Adjust the nut to allow the cable on the Kick down to go away from the bracket, this should show a lead marker. this should go past the rubber boot about 1-2 mm. this cable besides down shifting control, also adjust the line pressure for the tranny.
good luck with this.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
The cable they are talking about is the Kick down cable just like on your 80. If you look at the throttle body, you should see 3 cables that go to it. One is the throttle cable, one is the cable for the cruise control and the other is for the transmission. You will need a couple of wrenches. Either 12mm or 14 mm(the 80 is 14 mm). Adjust the nut to allow the cable on the Kick down to go away from the bracket, this should show a lead marker. this should go past the rubber boot about 1-2 mm. this cable besides down shifting control, also adjust the line pressure for the tranny.
good luck with this.

Thanks Robbie. You see any reason this would help with an intermittant clutch slip? When you say away from the bracket, in what direction, towards the firewall or towards the radiator?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper